Author Topic: September 2016: Where do we go from here?  (Read 5146 times)

gogreen

• Art on Facebook
Re: September 2016: Where do we go from here?
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2016, 03:05:14 PM »
I believe that the more active members we have, the more active the discussions are, the more attractive the forum becomes to new members.

Suggestions for swelling the forum rolls:

* Place occasional but regular messages in Facebook composer groups, and in related groups, directing readers to the forum.
* Email an information sheet about the forum to a list of 25 college composition department heads in the U.S. and Canada and ask them to distribute it to students. 25 names would be a test to see if this ploy works.
* Create a YouTube video about the forum. Promote it in Facebook groups. This video could be the hook in Facebook group messages and in an information sheet to composition department heads.

Ron

• Administrator
    • The Music of Ronald J Brown
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2016, 03:21:05 PM »
I do the first suggestion fairly often. That's where most of our quiet members come from. Are you willing to take on the oterh suggestions?
Ron
Rules? What rules?

sandalwood

« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2016, 03:38:54 PM »
I think more discussion might be generated if a discussion of the theoretical basis for one's piece is included, what is being attempted and how and why.

Orchestration and engraving issues related to the pieces posted often get discussed (sometimes quite extensively) but the theory behind a given piece is rarely discussed.

Describing the theoretical nuts and bolts of what one is attempting in a piece could be a learning/teaching experience depending on a given member's level of experience/knowledge. It can also trigger discussion without requiring someone to spend time (possibly an extended amount of time) analyzing a given piece first.

This might engender more activity.

I agree. Additionally, encouraging lengthier and more detailed introduction/presentation of posted works might be enlightening in itself besides triggering additional discussion and info flow.

We might take care to behave extra-nice to knowledgeable new comers; regular champagne shipments and all.  :) The good-mannered ones, I mean (oxymoron?).

and speaking of good-mannered, knowledgeable people, where is Kowalski? His absence is "no good".

gogreen

• Art on Facebook
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2016, 06:29:48 PM »
Are you willing to take on the oterh suggestions?

Thanks, Ron, but no--too much on my plate right now. Perhaps there will be other takers.

Ron

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2016, 08:02:40 PM »
Okay, I'll try to be a bit more communicative about my thinking process when I next present a new composition.
Ron
Rules? What rules?

perpetuo studens

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2016, 06:15:44 PM »
I think our biggest problem, as others have noted, is a lack of members, or at least a lack of members that post. And it makes me wonder why. Perhaps we should start a thread in the Chit-Chat section asking members who don't post regularly to explain why, and maybe offer suggestions as to what might motivate them more.

And I had an idea. I frequently give in to my voyeuristic streak and browse the Who's Online page. I often find threads that are worth re-reading, and occasionally threads that I had missed. Among these I've found that some of the most interesting to revisit aren't about technical questions where there is a single correct answer (although those are always useful because I have no memory left :)), but rather those that allow for more personal opinion/expression and discussion. this is a very intelligent and well-educated group, and I find that I'm quite stimulated by others' opinions and thoughts.

So maybe we want to try to encourage those types of discussions. To that end I'll put something in Chit-Chat later today.

All in all though, I want to say that I'd rather have this forum be a little on the quiet side and keep its character than make sweeping changes just to encourage more activity. This is a great place. How come everyone doesn't notice this?

Just my $0.02 (before taxes),

Jamie
The perceived object...is not a sum of elements to be distinguished from each other and analyzed discretely, but a pattern, that is to say a form, a structure: the element's existence does not precede the existence of the whole, it comes neither before nor after it, for the parts do not determine the pattern, but the pattern determines the parts: knowledge of the pattern and of its laws, of the set and its structure, could not possibly be derived from discrete knowledge of the elements that compose it.

That means that you can look at a piece of a puzzle for three whole days, you can believe that you know all there is to know about its colouring and its shape, and be no further ahead than when you started. The only thing that counts is the ability to link this piece to other pieces...

Georges Perec - Life: A User's Manual

tbmartin

• TerenceMartinSaxArranger
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2016, 12:21:29 PM »
So, whatever we did seems to have worked, at least in the short term. Maybe it's because we've reached the end of summer, but there's been a flurry of new stuff posted in the past week, including a draft of my new piece. Because of this thread, however, I made sure that I listened and commented on several works.

We're on a roll...
Terence Martin

Tools: Finale 2003 on Windows XP
Day job: Actuary
Composing/Arranging output: mostly sax quartets
http://bit.ly/TerenceMartinSaxArranger
Goal: Improve quantity and quality of concert band compositions.
Play: Saxophones (all, but tenor primary), Bass Clarinet, Piano (poorly)

MikeL

« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2016, 03:56:10 PM »
I suppose I am one of the newbies who are enthusiastic at first, post a few pieces, comment on a few others and then loose that enthusiasm.

I do come in occasionally but often don't log in just browse and leave.

I did think that one way of keeping new members enthusiasm up could be to assign someone to look after them for the first few months. Encourage them to post, to complete works and so on.

Not necessarily a senior member but at least some creds. Could then let Ron know if the person is just a lurker or us just struggling like I am.
These aren't the chords you're looking for.

Ron

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2016, 03:59:16 PM »
MikeL: What caused you to lose your enthusiasm? Was it something someone said--or didn't say? Or because we did not meet your expectations in some way?
Ron
Rules? What rules?

MikeL

« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2016, 04:15:18 PM »
Hi Ron

I did get a couple of negative comments that put me off a bit.

But I do think it is more that we "amateurs " have a lot of other things to deal with, like work. Means we need a place that makes us feel wanted.
These aren't the chords you're looking for.

saltamontes

« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2016, 06:07:09 PM »
Personally, I would like to see a little more wiggle room for different genres on this forum.  Ron mentioned previously having such.  Honestly, I don't really fit well within the focus of this forum, but I fit better here than any other forum.  You guys are nice and tolerate me but I am an outsider.  Anyway, it is not my intention to hijack this good forum just to please my musical ambitions and this is one reason I don't contribute more often.  There is so much wonderful jazz/world music that most people will never hear, fascinating harmonies, incredible rhythms, instruments, and artists.  A special section that could include essential jazz/world listening, book reviews, studies in reharmonization, latin rhythms, etc. would add variety and perhaps interest to the forum.  Compositions could just be placed with all others.  A few of my fellow jazz enthusiasts and I  could co-chair such a project (i.e. Jamie, Sandalwood, etc.).  But, again, it is your forum and you should direct it as you see fit.  I just appreciate you guys letting me hang around with you.  I have learned a great deal from this forum.

Saltamontes
Hold gently the hearts of those you love. For once they are gone, you will shed a thousand tears for each one you caused and the memory of each callous moment will be your companion.   Saltamontes

Ron

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2016, 06:20:32 PM »
Hi Saltamontes,

I just sent you a private note, but I would like to say here that I do not regard this as "my" forum. I see my role as being that of a caretaker until someone qualified comes along to take it over.

Cheers!
Ron
Rules? What rules?

saltamontes

« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2016, 06:28:37 PM »
Of course, Ron, i meant "you" as plural representing the members in general.
Hold gently the hearts of those you love. For once they are gone, you will shed a thousand tears for each one you caused and the memory of each callous moment will be your companion.   Saltamontes

gogreen

• Art on Facebook
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2016, 06:54:10 PM »
@ MikeL:
I do think it is more that we "amateurs " have a lot of other things to deal with, like work. Means we need a place that makes us feel wanted.

Good point. I hadn't thought much about this.

@ Saltamontes:
A few of my fellow jazz enthusiasts and I  could co-chair such a project (i.e. Jamie, Sandalwood, etc.).

Thank you--that's generous of you, and I think this would benefit everyone.

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
  • B.FA (composition) M.Mus (composition)
    • Les Éditions du Dos Blanc
« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2016, 05:29:14 AM »
Hi Ron

I did get a couple of negative comments that put me off a bit.

But I do think it is more that we "amateurs " have a lot of other things to deal with, like work. Means we need a place that makes us feel wanted.

1. negative comments WILL happen. Unless your work is perfection itself this is the reality of things. As an amateur you will mot likely always have things to learn.

2. while the "amateurs" have "a lot of things to deal with, like work" don't forget that the "professionals" are ALSO working. Some of us have multiple jobs - teaching, performing, conducting.

I spent an immense amount of time putting together some tutorials on this forum a while back. Time I could have spent on other things, but I devoted it to this forum. I don't regret doing it at all.
But I feel a bit like I did it for nothing.
I noticed that many of the tutorials and guides I posted never got any sort of response. I even deleted a few to see whether anyone would comment on their absence.

So it's no fun for the "professionals" to feel taken advantage of, or taken for granted, either.

And while I appreciate the comments I get from the tiny handful of people who DO comment on things I post, it feels like a slap in the face at times to see how few people are taking the time to comment.

So that's my own selfish comments right there.
At least you (vague, non-specific "you") know how I feel about it now.

There are times where I'm just too busy with my work to respond in depth to members' posts here.
And there are times where I simply cannot listen to anyone else's music because I am in the throes of composition of my own.
So at those times, feeling like nobody really cares whether I post or not, is it any wonder that I simply don't find it worth it to devote any real energy to posting?

And back to MikeL's final comment: as to amateurs feeling wanted, don't forget that the pros who devote so much time and energy here also need to feel wanted/appreciated.

Don't forget that the "pros" aren't being paid to be here. It has to at least feel worthwhile to give time and energy.
"Writing music to be revolutionary is like cooking to be famous: Music’s main function is not revolution. – Alan Belkin "

"Saying something new about something old is still saying something new. – Jamie Kowalski"