Author Topic: I'm back!  (Read 2367 times)

Susie

I'm back!
« on: August 01, 2016, 08:45:04 PM »
Hello, all! I don't know if any of you remember me, but I was (and, I guess, still am) the baby of the forum a few years ago. I just graduated high school, and in September, I will be off to college, where I'll study music composition as (at least) a minor.

How is everyone? :)
"Whenever I'm certain that I have something all figured out, I deprive myself of the opportunity to learn more..." - perpetuo studens

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
  • B.FA (composition) M.Mus (composition)
    • Les Éditions du Dos Blanc
Re: I'm back!
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2016, 12:06:32 AM »
Welcome back Susie.

Speaking only for myself, I've been good, but very busy.

This being summer, it seems the forum is a bit quieter than usual. It should pick up some come September.
"Writing music to be revolutionary is like cooking to be famous: Music’s main function is not revolution. – Alan Belkin "

"Saying something new about something old is still saying something new. – Jamie Kowalski"

tbmartin

• TerenceMartinSaxArranger
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2016, 09:58:09 AM »
Welcome!
Terence Martin

Tools: Finale 2003 on Windows XP
Day job: Actuary
Composing/Arranging output: mostly sax quartets
http://bit.ly/TerenceMartinSaxArranger
Goal: Improve quantity and quality of concert band compositions.
Play: Saxophones (all, but tenor primary), Bass Clarinet, Piano (poorly)

gogreen

• Art on Facebook
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2016, 02:07:30 PM »
Welcome back!

Susie

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2016, 06:21:16 PM »
Thank you! I'm excited to be back, if only intermittently.
"Whenever I'm certain that I have something all figured out, I deprive myself of the opportunity to learn more..." - perpetuo studens

Ron

• Administrator
    • The Music of Ronald J Brown
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2016, 08:20:43 PM »
I envy you, just starting college--whole new worlds and new ways of looking at things. I made myself a rule when I started university that always did me well: I swore I would attend every class I was able to and to do every assignment to the absolute best of my ability. It worked wonders. I still take courses whenever I can--learning has never ceased to be a fun adventure.
Ron
Rules? What rules?

winknotes

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2016, 12:19:56 PM »
Welcome back Susie.  Best of luck in school too. 
Steve Winkler
Finale 2011
Windows 7 64-bit
Garritan GPO4, JABB
VSL SE/SE+ Standard
Reaper (sometimes)

saltamontes

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2016, 08:08:03 PM »
Greetings from this tropical paradise in the Panamanian Highlands,

Enjoy your beginning university adventure.  When I was your age, university life was the center of the universe.  When we weren't in class, we would invade dark, smoldering coffee houses, listen to avant garde poetry, free form improvisation on varied instruments, modal jazz, discuss Freud, the God hypothesis, Karl Marx, Che Guevara, drink Turkish coffee, and take solemn vows to make a difference in the new world.  We were inspired, driven, and passionate.  Some of us went to Cuba to join Castro and Che, some became military officers and were sent to some place in the far east called Vietnam (just a seemingly insignificant,  small country on the global map at that time), and some traveled to join Dr. King in the great Civil Rights movement.  I and a few others became professional jazz musicians working six nights a week in smoky, booze-soaked clubs playing Miles, Coltrane, Lewis, Evans, Parker, Jazz Crusaders, and such.  It was a time of uncertainty, protest, and hope.....  a time I have cherished all my life.  I can only hope you have a similar experience as you begin your excellent journey.  You will perhaps find the classroom is only part of the education available in a university setting.  Peace and Happiness.....

Saltamontes
« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 08:50:44 PM by saltamontes »
Hold gently the hearts of those you love. For once they are gone, you will shed a thousand tears for each one you caused and the memory of each callous moment will be your companion.   Saltamontes

Periwink

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2016, 03:32:43 AM »
Welcome Susie, congrats on finishing high school!
Good luck with college, I'm also starting (again) in september :D
Honesty doesn't serve the self; it serves the truth.
-Peter Ralston

Susie

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2016, 05:58:02 PM »
I envy you, just starting college--whole new worlds and new ways of looking at things. I made myself a rule when I started university that always did me well: I swore I would attend every class I was able to and to do every assignment to the absolute best of my ability. It worked wonders. I still take courses whenever I can--learning has never ceased to be a fun adventure.

Greetings from this tropical paradise in the Panamanian Highlands,

Enjoy your beginning university adventure.  When I was your age, university life was the center of the universe.  When we weren't in class, we would invade dark, smoldering coffee houses, listen to avant garde poetry, free form improvisation on varied instruments, modal jazz, discuss Freud, the God hypothesis, Karl Marx, Che Guevara, drink Turkish coffee, and take solemn vows to make a difference in the new world.  We were inspired, driven, and passionate.  Some of us went to Cuba to join Castro and Che, some became military officers and were sent to some place in the far east called Vietnam (just a seemingly insignificant,  small country on the global map at that time), and some traveled to join Dr. King in the great Civil Rights movement.  I and a few others became professional jazz musicians working six nights a week in smoky, booze-soaked clubs playing Miles, Coltrane, Lewis, Evans, Parker, Jazz Crusaders, and such.  It was a time of uncertainty, protest, and hope.....  a time I have cherished all my life.  I can only hope you have a similar experience as you begin your excellent journey.  You will perhaps find the classroom is only part of the education available in a university setting.  Peace and Happiness.....

Saltamontes

Thank you for the advice! I will definitely keep this in mind.

And congrats to you, Periwink, as well! What will you be studying?

Periwink

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2016, 04:25:06 AM »
Thank you Susie:) I'm going to study composition, I had auditions in July and passed :D .

I'm not new to the college life though, I got a bachelor degree a year ago (totally different study).
For me my after high school years were a moment to find myself, and to really figure out and finetune the direction of my future (well I'm still in the middle of it).
Have fun!
Honesty doesn't serve the self; it serves the truth.
-Peter Ralston

perpetuo studens

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2016, 04:12:38 PM »
Hey Susie...welcome back. Hopefully your studies will allow you time to post your work here.

My college and university years were some of the best of my life - exciting and stimulating and filled with thoughts and plans for the future.

<author's message>
And they were this way because I was aware of how fortunate I was to be able to get an education. So even though my programs were chosen to provide me with an income (guitar performance at college and music education, and later computer science in university), I went out of my way to broaden my horizons taking courses in English literature and art history and philosophy and anthropology (etc, etc.) instead of just focusing on whatever I thought would get me the highest paycheque.
</author's message> :)

Anyway, glad to see you here again and hope your participation continues. Have fun at college!

Jamie
The perceived object...is not a sum of elements to be distinguished from each other and analyzed discretely, but a pattern, that is to say a form, a structure: the element's existence does not precede the existence of the whole, it comes neither before nor after it, for the parts do not determine the pattern, but the pattern determines the parts: knowledge of the pattern and of its laws, of the set and its structure, could not possibly be derived from discrete knowledge of the elements that compose it.

That means that you can look at a piece of a puzzle for three whole days, you can believe that you know all there is to know about its colouring and its shape, and be no further ahead than when you started. The only thing that counts is the ability to link this piece to other pieces...

Georges Perec - Life: A User's Manual

Susie

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2016, 08:47:22 PM »
Thanks! I often find myself worrying about the future, especially with the way the economy is right now, and I often have to remind myself that personal experiences are worth more than a paycheck ever could be. (Is the use of 'paycheque' just for emphasis, or is that how the word is spelled in another English dialect?)

perpetuo studens

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2016, 09:18:48 PM »
(Is the use of 'paycheque' just for emphasis, or is that how the word is spelled in another English dialect?)

It's a Canadian (British) thing.
The perceived object...is not a sum of elements to be distinguished from each other and analyzed discretely, but a pattern, that is to say a form, a structure: the element's existence does not precede the existence of the whole, it comes neither before nor after it, for the parts do not determine the pattern, but the pattern determines the parts: knowledge of the pattern and of its laws, of the set and its structure, could not possibly be derived from discrete knowledge of the elements that compose it.

That means that you can look at a piece of a puzzle for three whole days, you can believe that you know all there is to know about its colouring and its shape, and be no further ahead than when you started. The only thing that counts is the ability to link this piece to other pieces...

Georges Perec - Life: A User's Manual

sandalwood

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2016, 09:17:44 AM »
Welcome back Susie  :)