Author Topic: February, 2016: What notation package do you use--and why?  (Read 6462 times)

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
  • B.FA (composition) M.Mus (composition)
    • Les Éditions du Dos Blanc
Re: February, 2016: What notation package do you use--and why?
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2016, 04:04:32 PM »
I know all about Doritos... but I'm curious about Dorico.
I'm a very long-time user of Finale, and am waiting for the "finally" version of Finale that gives me what I've always wanted.

I may wait a bit as far as Dorico is concerned. First releases tend to be lacking. It also depends on how it handles playback, note entry, etc...
I have all the muscle memory from being a long-time Finale user, so a new program MIGHT be a bit challenging for me.

Also, it depends if the makers of Dorico offer a competitive crossgrade, or at least a 1 month trial.
"Writing music to be revolutionary is like cooking to be famous: Music’s main function is not revolution. – Alan Belkin "

"Saying something new about something old is still saying something new. – Jamie Kowalski"

sandalwood

« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2016, 04:29:38 PM »
Anyone hanging out for Dorico?

trying to keep updated about it.

if you are a DAW person and not particularly scrupulous about excellence in engraving you might also take a look at the new Notion 6 which claims unrivaled integration with DAWs via rewire.

saltamontes

« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2016, 04:46:35 PM »
I will certainly try a free month, if they offer it.  I'm relatively content with Finale as it is doing most of what I need.  Also, I'm not fond of the idea of learning a new program nor spending $200 plus.  But, I am certainly curious.
Hold gently the hearts of those you love. For once they are gone, you will shed a thousand tears for each one you caused and the memory of each callous moment will be your companion.   Saltamontes

sandalwood

« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2016, 06:41:02 PM »
If you already have a good handle on a DAW, teaming it up with Notion 6 will not be difficult at all, I believe. You can have a look at the on-going discussions at the Notion and the relevant DAW forums.

Otherwise, Notion alone probably does not have much to offer superior to Finale,  neither with its bundled sounds (compared to GPO4/5) and certainly not in engraving. Yet many find it practical to work with plus it has presets for many libraries like VSL, EWQL, GPO4, etc. Nothing to equal the Finale HP, though(IMO).

I looked around a bit to learn that the cross-grade from Finale is 80 usd and that a 30 day free demo is (most probably) available  upon registration.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 07:27:08 PM by sandalwood »

MikeL

« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2016, 10:13:19 PM »
I use Notion on my ipad. It was about $20 as I recall. Ships with a basic set of instruments. extras cost about $2.

It's OK for jotting down some ideas (while prone) and has some good features for note entry. Then export via xml to Sibelius to finish off.

I would think it the best notation program for IOS.

Haven't tried the PC version. Not up to finale or sibelius standard I think but relatively cheap in comparison.
These aren't the chords you're looking for.

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
  • B.FA (composition) M.Mus (composition)
    • Les Éditions du Dos Blanc
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2016, 10:29:32 PM »
yeah, Notion is definitely not up to Finale standards.
I had a look at their website, and the very few score examples i saw were loaded with egregious mistakes.
It's not a good sign when a company can't even be bothered to create good examples to use as their advertisement.
"Writing music to be revolutionary is like cooking to be famous: Music’s main function is not revolution. – Alan Belkin "

"Saying something new about something old is still saying something new. – Jamie Kowalski"

tbmartin

• TerenceMartinSaxArranger
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2016, 10:05:16 AM »
Finale 2003a. It has served me well, although it's getting hard to find the stone tablets needed to print my scores.

But seriously, given my history of doing mainly sax quartets, this package has served me well. I'm starting to bump into some limits now that I'm expanding into concert band. For example, I recently added an instrument to the score, only to find it was not playing back. Turns out, it was assigned to midi channel 17, which doesn't exist. Given that this is just a hobby, I hate to think about shelling out several hundred to upgrade because I won't fall under the church/education pricing scheme anymore.
Terence Martin

Tools: Finale 2003 on Windows XP
Day job: Actuary
Composing/Arranging output: mostly sax quartets
http://bit.ly/TerenceMartinSaxArranger
Goal: Improve quantity and quality of concert band compositions.
Play: Saxophones (all, but tenor primary), Bass Clarinet, Piano (poorly)

gogreen

• Art on Facebook
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2016, 02:16:53 PM »
Turns out, it was assigned to midi channel 17, which doesn't exist.

Yes, it does. Channel 17 is channel 1 of bank 2.

tbmartin

• TerenceMartinSaxArranger
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2016, 02:28:20 PM »
Well then, I guess I need to look in the manual!
Terence Martin

Tools: Finale 2003 on Windows XP
Day job: Actuary
Composing/Arranging output: mostly sax quartets
http://bit.ly/TerenceMartinSaxArranger
Goal: Improve quantity and quality of concert band compositions.
Play: Saxophones (all, but tenor primary), Bass Clarinet, Piano (poorly)

sandalwood

« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2016, 02:37:50 PM »
Only when all else fails! :) (to remind the Murphy rule for the use of manuals)
« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 02:48:28 PM by sandalwood »

gogreen

• Art on Facebook
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2016, 06:23:05 AM »
I'm a very long-time user of Finale, and am waiting for the "finally" version of Finale that gives me what I've always wanted.

I may wait a bit as far as Dorico is concerned. First releases tend to be lacking. It also depends on how it handles playback, note entry, etc...
I have all the muscle memory from being a long-time Finale user, so a new program MIGHT be a bit challenging for me.

Also, it depends if the makers of Dorico offer a competitive crossgrade, or at least a 1 month trial.

I'm with Michel on this. I've just upgrade to Finale 25. I've had an occasional glitch that so far required two support  tickets, but generally I like it, and it's working better for me than other versions. I'm curious about Dorico. Now as for Doritos, the salt and crunchiness get me every time.

EdSharpe

« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2017, 12:06:58 AM »
I am using Sibelius and  have done so since version 2 I think it was.  I did try out demo versions of both Finale and Sibelius and simply found that Sibelius work better for the way I think and work.  Several years later I bought Cakewalk's Sonar.  My current work flow In My Head > Paper > Sibelius > Sonar.

Currently Dorico is not in the budget.   

JWitt

• Loree AK oboe, Kreul Miraphone cor anglais
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2017, 09:40:17 AM »
When the composing urge struck a few years ago, I downloaded sample copies of Finale and Sibelius.  At the time I was playing violin in a neighborhood quartet and the woman who started the Q4 had Sibelius she was working on. I had no confidence that I would work hard enough at composing to justify the considerable investment in either of the two programs, so everything stayed dormant until I discovered Musescore.  Musescore has turned out, especially with the current version 2.03, to be everything I need.  I'm apparently not doing anything complicated enough to find shortcomings, so I'm happy as a pig in mud.
Houston, Tranquility Base here.  The Eagle has landed.

Eaubeauhorn

« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2017, 05:43:43 PM »
I still have Finale 2005b on my ancient iMac. It has glitches and I don't expect any significant help from the MakeMusic people. Recently I went for the $79 upgrade to 25, only to find that it wanted a later operating system than when I have on my MacBook, and I was not willing to pay for a software upgrade to install a Finale upgrade. So I got my money back (amazing in itself) and still sit with my wobbly copy of 2005b. Kind of in music software limbo. I don't want most of the fancy stuff since I am classically oriented, and would REALLY like to see a "cafeteria" program out there in which you can buy the features you want and not have to pay for a zillion you don't want. Kind of like cable TV, which I also refuse to pay for for similar reasons.

Gillespie

« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2017, 05:22:18 AM »
In my senior year, 1981, pen and ink was still it.  I used a 16-track tape deck and synthesizer to mock up tracks--very rough.  Revision was very unpleasant.  Want to add three measures in the middle of a concert band score after you've already copied parts?  Nah.

Enter Finale--the angels sing.  Now I have the opposite temptation--copy and paste; auto-transpose sections; automatic canonic inversions--all without any need for artistic musical evaluation.  Just click a few times and instant music--bland, bland music.

So, with that said, I'm very happy with Finale 25.  I just have to control different temptations.

On to GPO5 and JABB3.  These are far superior to my old method of synthesizer and multi-tracking tape deck.  However, GPO5 does have its quirks--especially in the strings.  I have yet to learn the user solutions to slow attacks in the GOS arco samples and overcoming the lack of GOS tremolo samples.  I get wrapped around the axel trying to solve MIDI controller data problems rather than composing.

I plan to export scores to MIDI files and import them into Cubase for additional MIDI editing since the Finale MIDI editor is difficult for me.