Author Topic: Finished?  (Read 1370 times)

mjf1947

• Administrator
Finished?
« on: November 03, 2015, 06:27:33 AM »
Well ... I am still working on the Canyon Vista .... what did I learn?

That when I thought I was finished ... I was just beginning.

Yes ... a bit hyperbole here .... yet ... The work is becoming so much more.

The work with the conductor has been very helpful.

When I am really "finished" I will post again.

One thing I realized - as my conductor often said -"The work has to catch the ear of the listener and have the listener fully engaged".

Mark

MikeL

Re: Finished?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2015, 02:21:24 PM »
Interested in how your work with the conductor has been helpful.

Hopefully getting a piece played next year but the conductor wants a number of cuts and changes some of which I am OK with, some not.
These aren't the chords you're looking for.

gogreen

• Art on Facebook
Re: Finished?
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2015, 06:35:50 AM »
Hopefully getting a piece played next year but the conductor wants a number of cuts and changes some of which I am OK with, some not.
Welcome to the forum, MikeL. I run into this criticism often--especially with tempos--I have no idea why, but most performances of my works are way too fast. Anyway, it's important to remain open to all kinds of criticism. You always want constructive ideas, but even nastiness can be helpful. In a disagreement with a conductor, I try to explore the criticism more deeply to find the underlying cause. That can be difficult when you're gritting your teeth through someone's acerbity, but just keep in mind your aim. Even when criticism is constructive, getting someone to clarify a comment can be difficult. If you can do it, it's worth it.