Challenges, Puzzles, and Exercises > Challenges

piano duet challenge

(1/2) > >>

Michel.R.E:
When I wrote my piece for kitty and me, I was inspired by a work for children called "Un tas de petites choses" by André Caplet ("a bunch of little things") for piano 4-hands. don't listen to the link if you don't want to be "inspired" by it... but do so if you want to hear something brilliantly "agile".

What is brilliant about the Caplet piece is that the child's part never moves from 5 fingers on the same 5 notes: C - D - E - F - G.
Regardless of what key the movement is in the child's part plays only those 5 white notes. The last movement is in a butt-load of flats!

There is a massive market for works for young pianists.
I suggest that we try writing short duets for piano 4-hands, the upper part intended for a young child, and following the same rules as the Caplet piece: hands don't move from the basic position covering white notes, C to G.

Ron:
Excellent idea.

Michel.R.E:
oh! I forgot to mention... minimal counterpoint in the child's part. usually at this age their parts are mostly solid octave writing (ie: both hands playing the exact same notes) with the occasional interval at a cadence.

Ron:
Here's my small contribution.

[old attachments deleted by admin]

Michel.R.E:
I love it!  :)
that's awesome.

I can think of maybe a few tiny suggestions for it, but it works really well "as is".

I love this sort of challenge because it gives you, in a sense, a chance to analyze your own writing and see how the harmony relates to certain "fixed points". Here, the C - G functions as a sort of pivot around which the harmony exists.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version