Author Topic: My new video: On Counterpoint  (Read 2352 times)

Alan Belkin

My new video: On Counterpoint
« on: June 09, 2015, 03:50:20 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPHC9Zf9s04

Some fundamental  things to know about how counterpoint works in real life, and also about how to go about learning it.

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
  • B.FA (composition) M.Mus (composition)
    • Les Éditions du Dos Blanc
Re: My new video: On Counterpoint
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2015, 04:04:28 PM »
Thank-you Alan, another wonderful contribution to musical education.
Every day I thank my lucky stars that I had the good fortune to be under your tutelage for those years. You are the best teacher a composer could ask for.
"Writing music to be revolutionary is like cooking to be famous: Music’s main function is not revolution. – Alan Belkin "

"Saying something new about something old is still saying something new. – Jamie Kowalski"

sandalwood

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2015, 02:34:09 AM »
Thanks a lot Professor!

I also tried hard to go through your Cours d'orchestration on youtube unfortunately missing much due to my very rusty French. I wished there was a way English speakers could benefit from these lessons.

Reha

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
  • B.FA (composition) M.Mus (composition)
    • Les Éditions du Dos Blanc
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2015, 07:47:03 AM »
I wished there was a way English speakers could benefit from these lessons.
Reha

Of course there is! learn French!  ;)
"Writing music to be revolutionary is like cooking to be famous: Music’s main function is not revolution. – Alan Belkin "

"Saying something new about something old is still saying something new. – Jamie Kowalski"

perpetuo studens

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2015, 12:05:00 PM »
Professor Belkin,

As in all of the materials you have made available via the web, you've given us much to ponder in a few words. Thanks for posting this.

Jamie
The perceived object...is not a sum of elements to be distinguished from each other and analyzed discretely, but a pattern, that is to say a form, a structure: the element's existence does not precede the existence of the whole, it comes neither before nor after it, for the parts do not determine the pattern, but the pattern determines the parts: knowledge of the pattern and of its laws, of the set and its structure, could not possibly be derived from discrete knowledge of the elements that compose it.

That means that you can look at a piece of a puzzle for three whole days, you can believe that you know all there is to know about its colouring and its shape, and be no further ahead than when you started. The only thing that counts is the ability to link this piece to other pieces...

Georges Perec - Life: A User's Manual

winknotes

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2015, 01:21:45 PM »
Thank you very much professor.  You have a special gift of clarity when you talk about these topics and it is truly appreciated. 

Could one in your opinion learn counterpoint without an instructor?  My guess is probably not since you're likely to make mistakes and not even be aware but maybe there's some pedagogical resource out there that compensates for that. 
Steve Winkler
Finale 2011
Windows 7 64-bit
Garritan GPO4, JABB
VSL SE/SE+ Standard
Reaper (sometimes)

FossMaNo1

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2015, 06:52:33 PM »
"Quasi-contrapuntal" parts...I love it!

I also like the stress he puts on singing or playing the music yourself instead of just letting the computer do it for you. I can't tell you how often I will play a melody and chord progression over and over in order to ingrain it into my psyche.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 06:55:51 PM by FossMaNo1 »
C. Foster Payne
Worship Leader at Arapahoe Road Baptist Church, martial artist, Cowboy, karateka, father, husband...wannabe composer
"If you get to thinkin' you're a person of some influence, try orderin' somebody else's dog around."