Author Topic: Forum Under Attack!  (Read 1909 times)

Ron

• Administrator
    • The Music of Ronald J Brown
Forum Under Attack!
« on: December 14, 2014, 07:52:01 AM »
Michel and I have been overwhelmed by requests to approve new accounts during the past 24 hours. Since last evening there have been more than 80 new membership requests. We checked several IP addresses and discovered they were all coming from Russia. All used common email applications, like outlook, aol, and gmail. (We used to ban membership requests from those using those services, but had to abandon that policy when it turned out that many legitimate people also use those email providers.)

In any case, to save our sanity--and hopefully to discourage those behind this attack--I have taken the step of disabling all new membership requests. In other words, no one can even apply to become a member until I lift that ban. I haven't figured out what we can do to accept membership requests from real people yet, but I will work on it. And, no, I am not going to provide an email account for potential members to send their requests to. If I can't figure out how to filter out the spammers, then I'll leave this ban in effect for a couple of weeks. We rarely get more than one or two legitimate requests for accounts every week and, with luck, our spammers will get tired and go find someone else to pick on.
Ron
Rules? What rules?

Jamie Kowalski

• All Hands Music
Re: Forum Under Attack!
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2014, 07:51:35 AM »
I remain pessimistic that any spammer ever gets tired. :(

Ron

• Administrator
    • The Music of Ronald J Brown
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2014, 07:53:57 AM »
I'm working on it with the Simple Machines folks. Apparently, it is a common problem. I don't get what these spam bots hope to achieve by joining a forum about music composition.
Ron
Rules? What rules?

flint

• Crazed weasels in a man costume
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2014, 05:02:41 PM »
If they can compromise and control a site, they can make it a trap; adding malware, etc., with which they can use to infect users and gain personal information, financials, etc., OR turn infected users' PCs into a zombie bot net and use them to launch DDoS attacks or act as spambots.
"Music is like wine; the less you know about it, the sweeter you like it." - Robertson Davies