Author Topic: The "What are you working on?" thread  (Read 16209 times)

Jerry Engelbach

Re: The "What are you working on?" thread
« Reply #90 on: January 09, 2020, 07:46:17 AM »
For "peer-comparison" :) here are top examples to the competition :) with premium arrangements of some Latin classics
Reha,

You allude to a competition, but haven't said anything about what it is.

Your montuno seems to translate well to the wind quintet ensemble. It could be a lot of fun.

I'm a little puzzled by the fact that your score has seven instruments, not five ...

In other news, I'm also working on a wind piece: a woodwind octet. I was surprised to find almost no modern examples of this. Wind octets, yes, but not specifically woodwind octets — except by my one-time teacher at the Juilliard Extension Program, Peter Schickele, PDQ Bach.

Cheers,
Jer
Finale 26
NP3
GPO 5
JABB 3
iMac Mojave

sandalwood

« Reply #91 on: January 09, 2020, 12:34:00 PM »
Thank you Jer, for kindly looking at this. I'm glad to hear you think it might work.

As to the competition, it's a self-proclaimed thing: since I'm supposed to achieve writing the best ever in the category, I'm placing on my desk the best written so far, to keep in sight what I have to equal and surpass. :) :) :)  The more truthful reason is I have given these links to provide some context for what sort of a project I have in mind when thinking of arranging this piece. As far as I can see, there are also some other remarkable works with Latin themes/patterns, moreover written originally for the woodwind quintet,  like the Suite Belle Epoque in Sud-America by J Medaglia or Aires Tropicales by P D'Rivera...

As to 7 staves: I'll very possibly keep working in Notion where I can use the Miroslav and Garritan instruments besides the Notion ones. I theoretically have the option to use multiple instruments from different libraries for each woodwind as needed, principally for various articulations.  An early example in the snippet/score is the Miroslav horn which is used throughout except for a couple of beats where the Garritan French Horn is preferred whose mute articulation comes closer to the buzzy/brassy sound of the stopped horn. So, the no. of staves in the playback score will very probably increase

Actually I have recently acquired the Vienna Symphonic Library Special Edition Vol. 1. It is a 24 GB library but the entry level package of the VSL collection. The woodwinds sound very nice but I have just finished (I hope) setting them up in Notion and Finale and only beginning to explore them reading the manuals etc.

It seems to be a privilege to have had Schickele as one's teacher. It's astounding to see the erudition behind his mocking/satire. I think it is nice that we might both be working on woodwind pieces. Luckily, I'll be able to hope for even more technically sharpened criticism from you. I look forward to hearing your woodwind octet. Do you contemplate a suite, or...?
« Last Edit: January 09, 2020, 01:37:15 PM by sandalwood »

Jerry Engelbach

« Reply #92 on: January 09, 2020, 01:49:29 PM »
I look forward to hearing your woodwind octet. Do you contemplate a suite, or...?
Reha,

I'm not sure what I want to do. I've written a dramatic five-minute piece that goes through several motives with little thematic development. I may post it in the next day or so to try to get some feedback.

Cheers,
Jer

P.S. Sounds like you've moved up to the high end with the VSL.How do you like the sounds so far?
« Last Edit: January 09, 2020, 02:19:35 PM by Jerry Engelbach »
Finale 26
NP3
GPO 5
JABB 3
iMac Mojave

sandalwood

« Reply #93 on: January 09, 2020, 05:48:32 PM »
Jer, I always had in mind to get involved with the VSL and I responded to a recent sale to take a first step into it. Judging by the playback of few notes I scribbled while testing the set ups in Finale and Notion, the instruments sound very promising. Even more impressive is the VSL player and server (the so called VI and VE)  that function similar to the ARIA player with its controls, effects etc but they appear to be incomparably more resourceful and flexible even at this entry level. 

The VSL SE Vol 1 does not include some articulations, like mutes or trills for instance. On a side-note, during the set-up I checked and saw the Finale HP beautifully trilled the solo violin, however (I would need to re-check this detail, of course, while systematically going over everything, reading the manual). Below link shows the instrument list and clicking on the Sample Content you can see the available articulations.

https://www.vsl.co.at/en/Special_Edition_Complete_Bundle/Special_Edition_Vol1#!Product_Info

whitebark

« Reply #94 on: January 10, 2020, 08:06:47 PM »
Jerry,
You had Peter Schickele as a music teacher?

OMG!!!!

I love his music.

Jerry Engelbach

« Reply #95 on: January 11, 2020, 07:44:01 PM »
Jerry,
You had Peter Schickele as a music teacher?

OMG!!!!

I love his music.
In 1963 or 64, I forget which, I enrolled in a music theory class in Juilliard’s adult education extension program. I took a placement test and they put me in a second-year section. Schickele was a 30-year-old professor whose work I had heard at a concert at Cooper Union, and I specifically asked to be in his class.

He had a great sense of humor. Each year at Juilliard he organized a humorous concert modeled after Gerard Hoffnung’s Interplanetary Music Festival. I showed him one of my compositions and he gave me several pieces of his own.

That was the extent of my contact with him. I still have his music and the course workbook. Needless to say, I’m a huge fan of his PDQ Bach persona and music.

Cheers,
Jer
Finale 26
NP3
GPO 5
JABB 3
iMac Mojave