Author Topic: The "What are you working on?" thread  (Read 16807 times)

Ron

• Administrator
    • The Music of Ronald J Brown
Re: The "What are you working on?" thread
« Reply #75 on: June 18, 2018, 03:22:31 AM »
Ron, I humbly think this is quite a feat and that you should definitely complete this work.

Reminds me of the sensibilities and pathos in some (superb) works of some Baltic composers (P Vasks and others) and of Shostakovich.

Recording is very good in general. Is it plain GPO4?

Thanks for the kind comments. Yes, it is plain old GPO4. I do have GPO5 but the strings are terrible. They only play back detache no matter what I do. Finale support's "solution" was to use GPO4.
Ron
Rules? What rules?

mjw58

• MJW MUSIC
« Reply #76 on: June 24, 2018, 11:10:29 AM »
Ron.

Yes, me too. WOW.  :)

Morten
Compositions: Wind band, Brass band and Fanfare
Platform: Windows 10
Notation: Finale 25
DAW: Cubase 8
Instrument: Bassoon, Euphonium
Day Job: TEGG Technician

flint

• Crazed weasels in a man costume
« Reply #77 on: October 07, 2018, 02:11:39 PM »
With the English Horn quartet completed and now working on the performance, I'm starting to write again (depression is a beast!).

I'm very lucky and honored to be working with the bass oboist who is playing the fifth part with our quartet. I've decided that I want to make my next work a showpiece for the instrument, which has such an expressive, warm quality.

Today I had a meeting with the bass oboist, listening and learning quite a lot about it. The highlight of the session was being given the chance to actually play a bass oboe! What an amazing day!
"Music is like wine; the less you know about it, the sweeter you like it." - Robertson Davies

LA Dierker

« Reply #78 on: October 08, 2018, 11:46:03 AM »
Had not heard of a bass oboe. Sounds very interesting indeed. Look forward to hearing your music.  LA

sandalwood

« Reply #79 on: June 14, 2019, 10:57:53 AM »
This melody has been aging in the cellar for ever. There is a possibility I may attempt to use it as countermelody etc in the next couple of years :) Can I have inadvertently stolen it? Have you heard it before?

Jerry Engelbach

« Reply #80 on: June 14, 2019, 12:19:31 PM »
Reha,

It starts the same as the Pas d'Action in the second movement of Tchaikovsky's Sleeping Beauty Suite, but then goes in a different direction.

The melody is at 6:11 in this YouTube clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tHEXbdZQjE

Cheers,
Jer
Finale 26
NP3
GPO 5
JABB 3
iMac Mojave

sandalwood

« Reply #81 on: June 14, 2019, 12:48:35 PM »
Thanks a lot, Jer! So, I was right to be suspicious. Funny thing is, I would think the themes in the Tchaikovsky suites were all familiar to me. It seems it was familiar, though, but lacked a name plate.

Thanks again!
« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 12:50:21 PM by sandalwood »

sandalwood

« Reply #82 on: December 20, 2019, 06:05:16 AM »
Has anybody heard this ditty before, or anything significantly similar?

Edit : OK, I've found out why I was uncomfortable. It is perilously close  to a Bellafonte tune.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2019, 06:14:00 AM by sandalwood »

sandalwood

« Reply #83 on: January 07, 2020, 12:19:14 PM »
I'm toying with the possibility of writing some ideas waiting in storage as short pieces (like suite mvts) for the woodwind quintet. Arranging some of my old works is a possible extension of such venture.

Attached snippet is a very crude trial (yet a bit too light perhaps, lacking a layer or two here and there) to arrange the opening of my Mi Cuasi Son Montuno for the quintet. You can hear that as much as melodies and harmonies, I have chosen to incorporate percussion parts of the original work into the arrangement in order to highlight the rhythm element and add variety. Considering there are only five winds available, there has to be some serious editing/rethinking involved.

For "peer-comparison" :) here are top examples to the competition :) with premium arrangements of some Latin classics 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mY9baGZRil0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dle4djzWa2o
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9KA3lnkgGE

Do you think anything worth pursuing might come out of this?

ps. Please listen with headphones!
« Last Edit: January 07, 2020, 02:19:34 PM by sandalwood »

mjf1947

• Administrator
« Reply #84 on: January 07, 2020, 01:19:09 PM »
Definitely work on the composition~!  :)

Please post the score.

Mark

sandalwood

« Reply #85 on: January 07, 2020, 02:15:26 PM »
Thanks Mark! Do you think it might stand a chance vis-a-vis the tough competition? :)

Sorry for the messy pdf. It is the playback file I scribbled the trial on Notion 5. Please think of it as giving a rough idea.

flint

• Crazed weasels in a man costume
« Reply #86 on: January 08, 2020, 04:16:59 PM »
Working on finishing the last few bits of the bass oboe piece.

Going to submit it and my Three Divertimenti for Oboe and Orchestra to the new conductor, who may program one/both in next season.

I wanted to have my piece for 2 Harps and orchestra finished, but it's languishing...
"Music is like wine; the less you know about it, the sweeter you like it." - Robertson Davies

mjf1947

• Administrator
« Reply #87 on: January 08, 2020, 06:41:42 PM »
Thanks Mark! Do you think it might stand a chance vis-a-vis the tough competition? :)

Sorry for the messy pdf. It is the playback file I scribbled the trial on Notion 5. Please think of it as giving a rough idea.

I really cannot comment on the competition ..... however, I see a lovely playable fun quintet here.

Mark

sandalwood

« Reply #88 on: January 08, 2020, 08:29:09 PM »
Very encouraging to hear this from you, Mark. Thank you for having a look. About playability and related issues, I'm trying to meanwhile read, listen and watch about the technique of involved instruments. Nonetheless, I'll have to request scrutiny/advice of knowledgeable members like yourself.

I guess I'll take the plunge into trying to write for the quintet and see how it goes. I hope I can put together something worthwhile. And, as to the competition, let them worry from now on!  :)

sandalwood

« Reply #89 on: January 09, 2020, 06:00:22 AM »
Working on finishing the last few bits of the bass oboe piece.

Going to submit it and my Three Divertimenti for Oboe and Orchestra to the new conductor, who may program one/both in next season.

I wanted to have my piece for 2 Harps and orchestra finished, but it's languishing...

I remember the beautiful "Three Divertimenti" and would definitely like to watch/listen to a recording when available...and look forward to hearing the two works that are close to completion.  :)