Author Topic: The "What are you working on?" thread  (Read 14234 times)

Ron

• Administrator
    • The Music of Ronald J Brown
Re: The "What are you working on?" thread
« Reply #75 on: June 18, 2018, 03:22:31 AM »
Ron, I humbly think this is quite a feat and that you should definitely complete this work.

Reminds me of the sensibilities and pathos in some (superb) works of some Baltic composers (P Vasks and others) and of Shostakovich.

Recording is very good in general. Is it plain GPO4?

Thanks for the kind comments. Yes, it is plain old GPO4. I do have GPO5 but the strings are terrible. They only play back detache no matter what I do. Finale support's "solution" was to use GPO4.
Ron
Rules? What rules?

mjw58

• MJW MUSIC
« Reply #76 on: June 24, 2018, 11:10:29 AM »
Ron.

Yes, me too. WOW.  :)

Morten
Compositions: Wind band, Brass band and Fanfare
Platform: Windows 10
Notation: Finale 25
DAW: Cubase 8
Instrument: Bassoon, Euphonium
Day Job: TEGG Technician

flint

• Crazed weasels in a man costume
« Reply #77 on: October 07, 2018, 02:11:39 PM »
With the English Horn quartet completed and now working on the performance, I'm starting to write again (depression is a beast!).

I'm very lucky and honored to be working with the bass oboist who is playing the fifth part with our quartet. I've decided that I want to make my next work a showpiece for the instrument, which has such an expressive, warm quality.

Today I had a meeting with the bass oboist, listening and learning quite a lot about it. The highlight of the session was being given the chance to actually play a bass oboe! What an amazing day!
"Music is like wine; the less you know about it, the sweeter you like it." - Robertson Davies

LA Dierker

« Reply #78 on: October 08, 2018, 11:46:03 AM »
Had not heard of a bass oboe. Sounds very interesting indeed. Look forward to hearing your music.  LA

sandalwood

« Reply #79 on: June 14, 2019, 10:57:53 AM »
This melody has been aging in the cellar for ever. There is a possibility I may attempt to use it as countermelody etc in the next couple of years :) Can I have inadvertently stolen it? Have you heard it before?

Jerry Engelbach

« Reply #80 on: June 14, 2019, 12:19:31 PM »
Reha,

It starts the same as the Pas d'Action in the second movement of Tchaikovsky's Sleeping Beauty Suite, but then goes in a different direction.

The melody is at 6:11 in this YouTube clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tHEXbdZQjE

Cheers,
Jer
Finale 26
NP3
GPO 5
JABB 3
iMac Mojave

sandalwood

« Reply #81 on: June 14, 2019, 12:48:35 PM »
Thanks a lot, Jer! So, I was right to be suspicious. Funny thing is, I would think the themes in the Tchaikovsky suites were all familiar to me. It seems it was familiar, though, but lacked a name plate.

Thanks again!
« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 12:50:21 PM by sandalwood »