Author Topic: The "What are you working on?" thread  (Read 9637 times)

sandalwood

Re: The "What are you working on?" thread
« Reply #60 on: February 19, 2018, 09:55:30 AM »
I am tempted to steal the musical line ... I really like it.  ;)

Consider it yours, Mark!

...and thanks for the ideas and suggestions. :)

sandalwood

« Reply #61 on: March 11, 2018, 12:26:37 AM »
This is the same intro with most instruments on board (otherwise yet very raw, even the harmony mostly arbitrary). Do you think it sounds so far like it might make some sense with this set up?

Please use headphones :)

Patrick O'Keefe

« Reply #62 on: March 11, 2018, 01:24:22 PM »
Boy, what a disappointment when it abruptly ends!  Yes, it certainly makes sense.

I agree with Jerry that the first few seconds sound like it's going to be Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring but it delightfully goes off in another direction.

An advantage of not knowing the internal working of Latin music is that you will put in your piece the elements of Latin music that appeal to you rather than what "belongs" there.  That makes it yours.

sandalwood

« Reply #63 on: March 11, 2018, 05:12:33 PM »
Thanks Pat! It's a relief to hear it does make sense with the set-up.

I have been listening and reading like mad but there is so much to know that I'm aware I'm only scratching the surface and the faculty to make this music seems to be acquired, as I understand, not through eyes and ears but rather through the skin, so mine will be in any case a try "from the outside". Add to this that I'm pretty much rhythm-handicapped whereas this music is all about rhythm.

Besides, this is a singers and "coro"s music , especially the sub-genre that I have in mind to keep close to. So, I figure I'll be "monkey"ing some solution, using some instrument(s) to represent the lead-singer and the chorus. Yeah not for the faint-hearted or shall we say messy times ahead :)
« Last Edit: March 11, 2018, 11:17:25 PM by sandalwood »

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
  • B.FA (composition) M.Mus (composition)
    • Les Éditions du Dos Blanc
« Reply #64 on: March 11, 2018, 05:51:34 PM »
I've finished the string quartet, score and parts are ready for first rehearsals this month.

Now I have to decide on the next project. I have three commissions, but no specific dates for them (except one which is for the "2019-2020 concert season").

I don't have the exact confirmation of what the requirements are for that piece, all I know is it's string quartet and orchestra, but is it just a string orchestra? or a full orchestra with brass and woodwinds? I probably won't know until the summer.

Then I have a piano concerto to write, but I'm waiting to see how the financing on that project will work. It's an exciting project with a relatively well-known soloist. But then comes into play my reticence to write for my own instrument. This commission has no set date yet.

Then there's the 2nd movement of my "Impressions" suite for orchestra. Ideally, that would be for the 2018-2019 concert season.

And not a commission but a project I really need to finish, my violin concerto. I have three violinists interested in it, each with their own guaranteed orchestras.

So right now I'm "working on" deciding what I need to work on... and working on getting some rest after working such extended hours finishing that quartet. The pay is TOTALLY not worth it. Thankfully, the performance will make up for it.
"Writing music to be revolutionary is like cooking to be famous: Music’s main function is not revolution. – Alan Belkin "

"Saying something new about something old is still saying something new. – Jamie Kowalski"

sandalwood

« Reply #65 on: March 13, 2018, 04:54:12 PM »
I'm knocking wood for all the good news that keeps coming, Michel. Really glad to hear about the growing attention your music is getting. I surely think it is well (and long) deserved. Curious to hear the quartet, no need to say.

Power to you for keeping in schedule with the commissions and best wishes for more lucrative ones.

Ron

• Administrator
    • The Music of Ronald J Brown
« Reply #66 on: June 17, 2018, 07:07:48 AM »
I was working on what I called a sonata for strings. I spent about 6 months on the first movement and posted an audio version on FaceBook, as I hadn't yet cleaned it up for presentation here. The only comment I got was a nasty put down from a family member. I've since abandoned it and am now tinkering aimlessly.
Ron
Rules? What rules?

sandalwood

« Reply #67 on: June 17, 2018, 02:43:37 PM »
The title sounds very intriguing. Won't you let us hear it?

Ron

• Administrator
« Reply #68 on: June 17, 2018, 03:08:34 PM »
The title sounds very intriguing. Won't you let us hear it?

Here's the sound file. I don't want to post it in the regular space because I don't have the energy or motivation to clean up the score for presentation. A couple of things motivated this: one was because I was pissed off with people on a FaceBook group insisting that exact replication of sections was part of the sonata format. Anyone who listens to a Beethoven sonata knows what utter nonsense that is, but I was irritated and wanted to write something where the different sections never repeated verbatim and, in fact, were marked different presentations each time.

www.ronaldjbrown.com/cf/string_sonata_m1.mp3
Ron
Rules? What rules?

sandalwood

« Reply #69 on: June 17, 2018, 03:52:12 PM »
Wow!!!

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
  • B.FA (composition) M.Mus (composition)
    • Les Éditions du Dos Blanc
« Reply #70 on: June 17, 2018, 04:08:42 PM »
I have only ever ONCE repeated a section verbatim in a sonata form piece, that was my viola sonatina. I did it very much on purpose.
but then, chances are your facebook group would have taken offense at there being no actual recapitulation of both themes in the tonic at the end of the movement, as well?
"Writing music to be revolutionary is like cooking to be famous: Music’s main function is not revolution. – Alan Belkin "

"Saying something new about something old is still saying something new. – Jamie Kowalski"

Ron

• Administrator
« Reply #71 on: June 17, 2018, 04:12:06 PM »
I have only ever ONCE repeated a section verbatim in a sonata form piece, that was my viola sonatina. I did it very much on purpose.
but then, chances are your facebook group would have taken offense at there being no actual recapitulation of both themes in the tonic at the end of the movement, as well?

Handel and Haydn seemed to be their role models--and we all know that music ended when they died, right?

Sorry if I am coming across as bitter. I have been fighting a serious bout of depression for months and having the only comment to something I worked so hard on for 6 months a rude and nasty remark from a family member has not helped my state of mind.
Ron
Rules? What rules?

sandalwood

« Reply #72 on: June 17, 2018, 05:00:00 PM »
Ron, I humbly think this is quite a feat and that you should definitely complete this work.

Reminds me of the sensibilities and pathos in some (superb) works of some Baltic composers (P Vasks and others) and of Shostakovich.

Recording is very good in general. Is it plain GPO4?

perpetuo studens

• Administrator
« Reply #73 on: June 17, 2018, 05:09:29 PM »
I highly recommend Charles Rosen's Sonata Forms as an antidote to this silly, silly idea. IMO this sort of thing comes from those who fail to understand that music precedes the theory that (tries) to describe it, not the other way around.

Also...what Reha said ("wow").

Jamie
The perceived object...is not a sum of elements to be distinguished from each other and analyzed discretely, but a pattern, that is to say a form, a structure: the element's existence does not precede the existence of the whole, it comes neither before nor after it, for the parts do not determine the pattern, but the pattern determines the parts: knowledge of the pattern and of its laws, of the set and its structure, could not possibly be derived from discrete knowledge of the elements that compose it.

That means that you can look at a piece of a puzzle for three whole days, you can believe that you know all there is to know about its colouring and its shape, and be no further ahead than when you started. The only thing that counts is the ability to link this piece to other pieces...

Georges Perec - Life: A User's Manual

flint

• Crazed weasels in a man costume
« Reply #74 on: June 17, 2018, 05:30:46 PM »
Currently working on nothing right now. I finished the English Horn quartet and rewrote a (never used) movement of my first "symphony" for harp solo.

Dealing with depression and just not feeling like touching the keyboard to work on anything.

First English Horn quartet rehearsal on Saturday, looking forward (and not looking forward) to that.

Only thing in the stable right now is my long-languishing string piece. It give me anxiety to even think about working on that.

Taking a harp lesson next month to improve my understanding and get some real tips (that haven't been repeated verbatim through 10 different orchestration texts by lazy authors). Have an idea for a showpiece for two harps and orchestra that may be fun.
"Music is like wine; the less you know about it, the sweeter you like it." - Robertson Davies