Author Topic: The "What are you working on?" thread  (Read 14907 times)

SethT888

Re: The "What are you working on?" thread
« Reply #45 on: November 11, 2016, 09:47:50 AM »
Lately I've mostly been casting around trying out ideas looking for one that seems like it's got enough life in it to develop. It's a bit frustrating really. I seem to be going through a phase where it's hard for me to distinguish what's working and where an idea might go. But I persevere. Our insane election down here in 'Merika' land isn't helping. The background anxiety is a real challenge to try to focus through, but I guess that's one of those mental muscles that it's good to develop anyway.
Seth
Seth

"I want to paint my inner landscape with the innocence of a child." Claude Debussy

sandalwood

« Reply #46 on: November 11, 2016, 05:01:28 PM »
A snippet from a not-too-recent addition to the ever-getting-larger dump of abandoned ideas :)

SethT888

« Reply #47 on: November 11, 2016, 08:14:50 PM »

Hey Sandalwood,
     I like your snippet. You where definitely getting an atmosphere of something interesting. Are you sure you don't want to pull that off the heap and brush it off for some more work?
Seth
Seth

"I want to paint my inner landscape with the innocence of a child." Claude Debussy

gogreen

• Art on Facebook
« Reply #48 on: November 12, 2016, 06:26:48 AM »
A snippet from a not-too-recent addition to the ever-getting-larger dump of abandoned ideas

I think this snippet has great potential. Why are you abandoning it?

sandalwood

« Reply #49 on: November 12, 2016, 06:28:25 AM »
Thanks Seth! That was actually an "applied" reply to your previous post on the difficulty of distinguishing ideas to bounce from those that should be waved in. Yes, it is difficult for sure!

I tend to think it is a "compound" difficulty. First I believe there is a truth to the notion of sorting ideas that merit sticking to from the others. But then, one could still easily fail or waste an idea which would actually "work" had she approached it with a different mindset, in a different context or simply on another day.

Reha
« Last Edit: November 12, 2016, 06:33:33 AM by sandalwood »

sandalwood

« Reply #50 on: November 12, 2016, 08:26:26 AM »
Thanks Art! Tempted by some bassoon works middle mvts by some (very) old masters, I sketched my reply :) to them. Then, I happened to let some local ideas in the opening take an entirely different course and start growing into a distinct work (with different instrumentation, etc; re. the snippet) for which I had the pretext of having no prior mental, sketchwise etc  preparation, so I stopped. Then, as the (ever-present) doubts as to their merits intensified, I scrapped/fallowed both the emergent idea and the original idea of a bassoon adagio. The old masters were thus spared of a serious rival.

Thanks for the encouragement! It surely helps to know an idea might be worth considering to redeem.

Edit: The bassoon accompaniment figure in the snippet, by the way, is stolen/inspired from the oboe melody in the opening of the second piece ("Napolitana") of Stravinsky's Suite No.1 for Small Orchestra; that is if it was his own invention in the first place. At any rate it is about time he sees some retaliation for all his pillage and plundering.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2016, 09:08:34 AM by sandalwood »

sandalwood

« Reply #51 on: February 17, 2018, 04:20:55 AM »
Lately, I have been listening and reading, looking into salvaging a number of melodies/ideas aging in my hoarder's cache, writing them into a series of (very) short pieces for a duo or for even lesser:) forces.  Then, a couple of days ago, reading a forum post by ttw, who (far too infrequently :()  posts delicious Latin pieces,  I was reminded that I also had some "latin-sounding" material in storage. So I switched, temporarily, to looking into whether I could use some of them to write a close as possible to passable ;D Latin piece. Below, I'm attaching a few moments of the probable opening melody; will you kindly tell me  if you've heard it before?

The sounding instruments in the audio are only place-holders and my, yet, very early listening/reading tells me I have to provide many, many more layers of rhythm, harmony, etc. to the presently sounding texture. Still, with this very little available, if you have an idea whether this sounds worth devoting time or not, I would appreciate hearing it.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 09:08:40 PM by sandalwood »

gogreen

• Art on Facebook
« Reply #52 on: February 17, 2018, 06:05:51 AM »
Still, with this very little available, if you have an idea whether this sounds worth devoting time or not, I would appreciate hearing it.

Entirely worth it. First, I'd polish the melody with a bit more variety, syncopation, and an interval leap or two. Then I'd probably pause there and review the melody over and over in my head to see if any kind of ensemble sprang up--it usually does for me. This review sometimes takes minutes, hours, or days. If not, I'm thinking a smaller ensemble--a trio or quartet, perhaps, the instruments of which are yet to be determined.

sandalwood

« Reply #53 on: February 17, 2018, 08:16:18 AM »
Thanks a lot for the tips and ideas, Art!  As I could learn so far, the genre (afro-cuban/son montuno/conjunto) requires the use of at least 3-4 distinct, traditional, continuous rhythms played on bongo/conga drums, cowbells, timbale shells, etc, besides the essential claves. These are in addition to harmony/rhythm/(bass) on the piano, plus any dedicated bass instrument, wind(s) etc. I'll have to take my time to do a good deal of targeted listening etc to shape the remaining plethora of decisions to make. I may choose not to comply with the conventions, though that might be a better idea for the second piece. :)

I have two more themes as sequel to the opening one but I'm somehow more confident as to their originality. I felt I needed to check the (posted) opening theme to avoid toiling in vain.

Thank you Art, much appreciated!
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 06:21:52 AM by sandalwood »

gogreen

• Art on Facebook
« Reply #54 on: February 18, 2018, 05:50:11 AM »
As I could learn so far, the genre (afro-cuban) requires the use of at least 3-4 distinct, traditional, continuous rhythms played on bongo/conga drums, cowbells, timbale shells, etc, besides the essential claves. These are in addition to harmony/rhythm/(bass) on the piano, plus any dedicated bass instrument, wind(s) etc. I'll have to take my time to do a good deal of targeted listening etc to shape the remaining plethora of decisions to make. I may choose not to comply with the conventions, though that might be a better idea for the second piece. :)

My sense on your snippet, then, is to keep it light. I might try the "required" percussion with an instrumental octet or nonet.

sandalwood

« Reply #55 on: February 18, 2018, 12:06:33 PM »
Exactly! Such an orchestra, it seems, starts from 6-8 people (2 examples below)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xV5gJz6J8D4 (Kudos to casually smoking guitarist!)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-c4B38DD7PQ

and practically no limit to how crowded it could go up. My snippet is, as I said before, very incomplete in its parts&instruments considering the "requirements" I aim to more or less fulfil for the time being. .

The purpose I posted the snippet was to ask if I had inadvertantly stolen the melody.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2018, 07:44:40 PM by sandalwood »

Jerry Engelbach

« Reply #56 on: February 18, 2018, 01:31:46 PM »
For the first few notes I thought I was going to hear a new version of Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring.

Cheers,
Jer
Finale 26
NP3
GPO 5
JABB 3
iMac Mojave

sandalwood

« Reply #57 on: February 18, 2018, 07:44:45 PM »
Thank you Jer!  I did eventually wake up to that similarity/association but (curiously) regarded it as harmless although I  tend to get nervous even over such partial associations. Actually it is a rather simple "melodi"c idea that I think any song writer can bump into, so I was anxious to know if it was, for instance, a childhood reminiscence from a then well-known piece. It has been sitting in storage for years, thinking I might some day do something with its "latin-sounding" ways.

[Edit:...and when I started tinkering a few days ago, I had to slightly change the melody so that it fits a traditional mother rhythm (clave)]

The funny side of all this endeavor is that, though very fond of many "Latin" pieces since childhood, I am totally ignorant on its innerworkings and the (presumed) vast world of its technicalities, intricacies, etc. So, I am currently trying to walk in almost total darkness and with some courage that the ignorant tend to have. Much fun! :)

« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 10:13:32 PM by sandalwood »

Jerry Engelbach

« Reply #58 on: February 19, 2018, 06:19:41 AM »

I am currently trying to walk in almost total darkness and with some courage that the ignorant tend to have.

That's an eloquent phrase!

And it presciently captures the way I've approached learning music all my life.

Cheers,
Jer
Finale 26
NP3
GPO 5
JABB 3
iMac Mojave

mjf1947

• Administrator
« Reply #59 on: February 19, 2018, 07:56:53 AM »
A snippet from a not-too-recent addition to the ever-getting-larger dump of abandoned ideas :)

This is a very interesting/mysterious opening .... I would suggest to add some "Renaissance type percussion" to the musical line.

I would definitely continuance to develop it. 

I would also add additional instruments to create a period style piece.  Maybe a lute, guitar, lyre, tambourine etc.

Have fun~!  ;D

Mark

PS: I am tempted to steal the musical line ... I really like it.  ;)
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 08:03:46 AM by mjf1947 »