Author Topic: The "What are you working on?" thread  (Read 14544 times)

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
  • B.FA (composition) M.Mus (composition)
    • Les Éditions du Dos Blanc
Re: The "What are you working on?" thread
« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2016, 12:00:53 AM »
when I was younger, I'd drive my piano teacher mad by always ending scale exercises with the 2nd of those endings.

I'm slowly sketching ideas for the last movement of my violin concerto.
VERY slowly.
I'm really really happy with the first two movements, and for me that just adds WAY more stress. I feel that the last movement has to be "up to the standard". I shouldn't worry. It's not like I'd ever write something crappy and just tack it on "just to finish" a piece, but still, it's added stress.

Two perfectly good endings...  ;D
"Writing music to be revolutionary is like cooking to be famous: Music’s main function is not revolution. – Alan Belkin "

"Saying something new about something old is still saying something new. – Jamie Kowalski"

tbmartin

• TerenceMartinSaxArranger
« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2016, 06:15:55 AM »
I've finally kicked myself into high gear on "411 Fanfare." My initially posted sketches were so preliminary that comments on the music were essentially impossible. However, one thought tossed out by Periwink was to block out the piece to get a sense of the overall structure.

So I did. I listed the sections on paper with initial thoughts as to what voicing I might use (no more specific than "woodwinds", "brass", percussion"). I then pasted the sketches in that order, with no thought to transitions between sections, not even changing the voicing yet to match my ideas. Basically, I used "musical duct tape" in order to just get a Finale file that would play top-to-bottom.

Wow. What an eye opener! Suddenly I knew where I needed to go! I've kept each section as a separate file so I'm only working on one 16-bar chunk at a time. It seems to keeps me from chasing squirrels.

It's been about 10 years since I first had the idea of trying an original piece for full-band, and I'd gotten discouraged that I'd ever get one done. I felt totally overwhelmed. Now I can see the path forward. For the more seasoned composers on the forum this probably won't seem like much of a revelation, but for someone like me who has only done arrangements up to now, this was a huge breakthrough.

Look for a decent full-draft in the next few weeks!
Terence Martin

Tools: Finale 2003 on Windows XP
Day job: Actuary
Composing/Arranging output: mostly sax quartets
http://bit.ly/TerenceMartinSaxArranger
Goal: Improve quantity and quality of concert band compositions.
Play: Saxophones (all, but tenor primary), Bass Clarinet, Piano (poorly)

Periwink

« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2016, 01:09:30 PM »
Good to hear Martin!:)
Honesty doesn't serve the self; it serves the truth.
-Peter Ralston

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: September 06, 2016, 03:04:41 PM »
Since I now have a premiere date set for my 3rd symphony (May 7th, 2017, in Seattle), I had better get my butt in gear and FINISH the damned symphony!

I started work on the 1st movement (2nd and 3rd are done, 4ths is partially sketched).
I now have about a minute and a half sketched out of the opening movement. It's going to be a handful.. it's far more dissonant than what I normally write. juuuuust borderline atonal.
"Writing music to be revolutionary is like cooking to be famous: Music’s main function is not revolution. – Alan Belkin "

"Saying something new about something old is still saying something new. – Jamie Kowalski"

flint

• Crazed weasels in a man costume
« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2016, 12:11:55 PM »
Revisiting a work I started in 2002 and repurposing it. Was supposed to be a symphony for band (that I never finished); I'm re-writing the first movement as an overture-type piece for orchestra.

No clue what to call this... March Militaire? Something to that effect... :-p
"Music is like wine; the less you know about it, the sweeter you like it." - Robertson Davies

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2016, 12:22:34 PM »
"Marche Recylée"?

RJB54

« Reply #36 on: October 15, 2016, 12:43:12 PM »
 ;D
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is THE BEST.
Frank Zappa

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2016, 12:50:09 PM »
or... and I'm sort of going out on a limb here...
if it's a really tonal work, try going with an incredibly pretentious pseudo-scientific title, or something ridiculously obscure and "philosophical"... like some totally out of context quote from a book.. and make sure the quote is just long enough to make for an uncomfortable title, and yet, just short enough so that no one knows that the quote actually means.

tbmartin

• TerenceMartinSaxArranger
« Reply #38 on: October 15, 2016, 01:16:27 PM »
You mean something like "Pain in the diodes down my left side."?
Terence Martin

Tools: Finale 2003 on Windows XP
Day job: Actuary
Composing/Arranging output: mostly sax quartets
http://bit.ly/TerenceMartinSaxArranger
Goal: Improve quantity and quality of concert band compositions.
Play: Saxophones (all, but tenor primary), Bass Clarinet, Piano (poorly)

flint

« Reply #39 on: October 15, 2016, 01:22:43 PM »
Yeah, going through the piece so far, I can see hints of "my" tonal language, but a lot of it is really conventional. I wrote this a long time ago, musically.

Something simple for the title will definitely work... I'll leave the pretention to some of my former cl-assmates in college. ;-)

I'm thinking "Martial Overture" or somesuch.
"Music is like wine; the less you know about it, the sweeter you like it." - Robertson Davies

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: October 15, 2016, 01:34:06 PM »
"Martian Overture"... I like it! Good idea.

flint

« Reply #41 on: November 07, 2016, 07:03:34 PM »
So I've reached the "end" of my original movement, but I need to actually provide a "real" ending to make this a functional single-movement piece.

Since this whole piece is in a relentless minor key realm (Fm -> C#m -> Bbm -> Gm), it's got to be in a major key, just to lighten the damned thing up and give it a good ending.

...and it's gotta be done by the end of the year. HELP!

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: November 07, 2016, 08:52:51 PM »
take a fragment, preferably something really catchy, of one of the main themes, turned major, and change the tempo radically?
make it really heavily contrapuntal or antiphonal?
or make it a gradual crescendo ostinato with a surprise twist at the end?

flint

« Reply #43 on: November 07, 2016, 09:18:58 PM »
I've got a horn lick for the very end that will dazzle and amaze (and probably drive the hornists crazy).

But still not there... I've mapped out what I want to do, it's just a matter of de-stressing enough that I can actually relax enough to sit and write and not tear myself apart.

Depression sucks. :-p

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: November 09, 2016, 04:33:52 PM »
I have to finish the violin concerto.. but I'm tempted first to take Flint up on his suggestion that I make a version for clarinet and string orchestra of my clarinet quintet.