Author Topic: Salutations & a big smile of Enthusiasm!  (Read 3245 times)

darius Renergy

Salutations & a big smile of Enthusiasm!
« on: November 24, 2014, 10:31:33 AM »
My name is Darius.  I could have been named William the IV, but my father broke the tradition and named after his friend in college.  His friend was the son of Dave Brubeck, the progressive jazz pianist who helped popularize the idea that jazz could swing in odd metrics.

My father was a great blues musician, unfortunately I lost him unexpectedly in my early teen years.  This short time however, was adequate enough for my father to impart in me a deep respect for variety in music.  It was in my early years I developed an ability to listen very carefully to the quality of musicianship as it is played expressively by musicians and I developed a mental lexicon of the interplay between melodic voices and the structural components of a work and how it can unfold over time (of course!) and the myriad directions it can venture as harmonic tension and rhythmic tension is built up and released to create an emotional response in a listener.   Nowadays this can be achieved by a human being like you or I sitting at a midi instrument or even simply a computer.  The composition process is very much analogue to the process of improvisation, all occurring in the mind and "played" for the first time by the imagination of the composer as he tries to get it all down as input to a digital software program that might work by symbols (notation) or linear representation (of recorded tracks or even midi information).  Of course there is much more types of tools out there and more being developed.

this is why it is very exciting to be a musician in this age of technological invention.

possible techniques and knowledge of both the physics of sound and the artistry of arranging sound are transforming with new ways of creating music, be it composition or realization (recording).

I read some of other members' introductions and I was relieved to see many are very much like myself in that I had a hiatus or period where I stopped creating music (sadder times to be sure) but now I have come 360 and I want to learn, improve, and create to share my own vision of discovery with others who love music and enjoy creating it for a new and unheard future.

I am so excited to have been accepted to this most interesting forum!!! 

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
  • B.FA (composition) M.Mus (composition)
    • Les Éditions du Dos Blanc
Re: Salutations & a big smile of Enthusiasm!
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2014, 10:43:11 AM »
Welcome to the forum William the 4th Darius.

Hopefully you'll find plenty to occupy you and aid you in your renewed studies.

Speaking only for myself, I'm afraid I'm not terribly avant-garde, but hopefully I can bring insight in some of the more traditional foundations of composition.

So, again, welcome to the forum.

A quick suggestion: you'll find comments more forthcoming when you post both score and recording. Only a recording makes it more difficult to comment in a constructive manner, while only the score makes it more difficult for forum members who may not be as comfortable with internal hearing of more complex scores.
"Writing music to be revolutionary is like cooking to be famous: Music’s main function is not revolution. – Alan Belkin "

"Saying something new about something old is still saying something new. – Jamie Kowalski"

Abel Project

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2014, 12:51:55 PM »
Welcome, Darius,

I used to be a great Blues fan and was fortunate to see and hear some great blues musicians during my year in Los Angeles.
Now I mainly listen to classical music, folk and worship music.
I hope you enjoy the forum.

Best wishes,

Thomas
Laptop dual core 1.6 GHZ
Win 7 x64
Finale 2012
Presonus studio one artist

winknotes

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2014, 01:31:24 PM »
Welcome Darius,

Looking forward to your participation on the forum!
Steve Winkler
Finale 2011
Windows 7 64-bit
Garritan GPO4, JABB
VSL SE/SE+ Standard
Reaper (sometimes)

perpetuo studens

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2014, 10:39:49 PM »
Welcome to the group. Looking forward to hearing some of your work.

Jamie
The perceived object...is not a sum of elements to be distinguished from each other and analyzed discretely, but a pattern, that is to say a form, a structure: the element's existence does not precede the existence of the whole, it comes neither before nor after it, for the parts do not determine the pattern, but the pattern determines the parts: knowledge of the pattern and of its laws, of the set and its structure, could not possibly be derived from discrete knowledge of the elements that compose it.

That means that you can look at a piece of a puzzle for three whole days, you can believe that you know all there is to know about its colouring and its shape, and be no further ahead than when you started. The only thing that counts is the ability to link this piece to other pieces...

Georges Perec - Life: A User's Manual

RJB54

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2014, 04:13:44 AM »
Welcome aboard.
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is THE BEST.
Frank Zappa

tbmartin

• TerenceMartinSaxArranger
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2014, 05:52:57 AM »
Non-musical periods are common among all of us. Alas, life gets in the way. Welcome.
Terence Martin

Tools: Finale 2003 on Windows XP
Day job: Actuary
Composing/Arranging output: mostly sax quartets
http://bit.ly/TerenceMartinSaxArranger
Goal: Improve quantity and quality of concert band compositions.
Play: Saxophones (all, but tenor primary), Bass Clarinet, Piano (poorly)

gogreen

• Art on Facebook
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2014, 06:24:25 AM »
Welcome to the forum!

Art

Jamie Kowalski

• All Hands Music
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2014, 07:11:43 AM »
Welcome, Darius. Good to have you here.

darius Renergy

Re: ...Enthusiasm!
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2014, 10:55:32 AM »
Thank you all...I hope to participate more frequently in the future.  Since I joined I became awash in creative juices and I have been away from the forum but writing/playing music constantly.

As soon as I get enough down I will attempt to share recordings/notation, but all my pieces are currently in gestation.
Any advice on technical methods of posting and sharing I welcome:  I just joined Soundcloud, and I plan to eventually use Cd Baby.  As for the notation I think I can use either screenshots (for examples) or actual finale files and there probably are several ways to export.

Once again thanks to all for making me feel welcomed.

Ron

• Administrator
  • Finale Beta Tester
    • The Music of Ronald J Brown
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2014, 11:04:22 AM »
I'm looking forward to seeing your samples. The usual postings here are mp3 and pdf files. You can easily make pdf's from Finale (I use CutePDF instead of Finale's built-in converter) and there are dozens of free mp3 conversion programs that can convert Finale's audio (wav) files.

I wouldn't post Finale files themselves for a couple of reasons. First, not all members use Finale and so would not be able to read your score; secondly, they can be easily modified (not that any members would, but anyone can read files posted here); and, third, not everyone with Finale uses the same VST samples and so would not hear the same playback as you.
Ron
Administrator Compose Forums

Rules are for people who have no understanding of music, so they invent something to mask their ignorance.

Brendan

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2015, 11:24:54 PM »
Darius, welcome! Just as well your father's/friend's name wasn't Hymie...  ;D
Brendan

"My whole life, I could only recognise two tunes. One was Yankee Doodle.  The other one wasn't." - Ulysses S Grant