Author Topic: Harmonization Exercise  (Read 3761 times)

Ron

• Administrator
    • The Music of Ronald J Brown
Harmonization Exercise
« on: October 01, 2014, 09:18:30 AM »
Provide four-part harmonization for the following melody: http://www.ronaldjbrown.com/cf/exercise.pdf

Play attention to voice-leading the the sifting tonal focus. Yes, it ends in a different "key" than it begins in.

(Was finally able to upload the pdf file.)

[old attachments deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 06:27:26 AM by Ron »
Ron
Rules? What rules?

RJB54

Re: Harmonization Exercise
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2014, 09:29:57 AM »
Ron, should the harmonization be in strict or free counterpoint, or users choice?
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is THE BEST.
Frank Zappa

Ron

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2014, 10:11:43 AM »
Ron, should the harmonization be in strict or free counterpoint, or users choice?

I'm not sure what the difference is. "Strict" depends on which school you are following or which composer you are imitating, I think. I'd rather you used your own. The "rules" of voice-leading usually work best, but, even then, better to break a "rule" than write something that doesn't work for you.
Ron
Rules? What rules?

RJB54

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2014, 05:48:05 PM »
Here's my contribution. I decided to go sort-of strict; therefore, there is no attempt to generate chord progressions but rather it is concerned with contrapuntal relationships.

Score=https://app.box.com/s/mb5kvp8h077uq2qxy1zx
Audio=https://app.box.com/s/psv83v10dw1lgexawhgl
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is THE BEST.
Frank Zappa

Ron

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2014, 05:18:54 PM »
I like the way it keeps moving forward.
Ron
Rules? What rules?

johnc

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2014, 06:12:23 PM »
Hi Ron,

Here's my offering.  Limited myself to two parts only, as that was challenge enough.  I'm not sure I got the tonal centers you were after, but did the best I could.

So much going on, I wish I had more time to spend at this great site.  I always learn something, and the exercises and challenges are great.

John

[old attachments deleted by admin]

Ron

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2014, 06:48:22 AM »
Interesting emphasis on the much-dreaded tri-tone. There's an ethereal quality that I like.

It's probably a good idea to include courtesy accidentals when using diminished or augmented octaves like the B - Bb in m 11.
Ron
Rules? What rules?

johnc

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2014, 10:57:32 AM »
Thanks Ron,

Not sure what tonal centers you had in mind.  Seemed to be sort of in E minor, though I'm not sure the accidentals would support that.

I always like your melodies, as they are very thoughtful and musical, and provide food for development.

John

Ron

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2014, 11:21:44 AM »
The textbook I mostly rely on for harmony is Persichetti's "Twentieth Century Harmony." Tonal centres can change several times in a measure and can be ambiguous depending on the scales--which are also constantly morphing. What can I say? It's all J. S. Bach's fault, though he pretty much stuck to major and minor scales. (If you don't get the reference, it drove me nuts when studying J.S.B's counterpoint because he seemed to never stay in one key for more than a couple of notes--and the analysis could drive one up the wall. Often times in class an argument would erupt about what key a given passage was in.)
Ron
Rules? What rules?

johnc

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2014, 04:33:19 PM »
Ron,

Yes, the Perishetti book is a good one.  Lots of good references to the music literature.  As I recall, my only criticism was that he doesn't identify the musical examples, so you can't check them out on Youtube.  I could be wrong on that.

Yep, JSB has driven me nuts, too.  Was looking this morning at a 3-part invention in Kent Kennans' "Counterpoint'  (good book)  "Simple" piece, but all over the place harmonically.

Dang that JSB guy.

John