Author Topic: anne  (Read 1374 times)

anne

anne
« on: July 20, 2011, 07:28:50 PM »
Well hello!  ;)

Let's see.... I had piano lessons as a child, quit when I was in high school since I had.. ahem.. way more important things to do   ???   I majored in engineering.. fast forward (cough cough) years and some women in my book group were getting together to play Celtic music so I joined in. We had a violinist, a concertina player and me on piano. Unusual, I know  :)  Since most traditional Celtic music is written for the violin and therefore, treble, I was bored stiff so I thought, well I'll take a few lessons in composing and arranging, how hard can it be??

You all are laughing hysterically now, I know. I'll wait.  LOL

The violinist moved away so we just entertained ourselves and invited other instruments to join in. I can tell you that the harp is a lovely, beautiful instrument. The bagpipes are much too loud in the family room and they scare the cat. :o 

And I fell in love with composing.

My piano teacher at that time said that I was pretty good; however we had a falling out and I moved so... here I am. I did have a couple pieces evaluated by a publisher and they had some great critiques. My pieces tend to be very very short (I was aiming for piano pieces for beginners for a while - so short and trying for simple).

I know I have much to learn.

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
  • B.FA (composition) M.Mus (composition)
    • Les Éditions du Dos Blanc
Re: anne
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2011, 04:54:10 AM »
Well, welcome to the forum, Anne!

I don't know if we can help you with writing for bagpipes... we can try  ;D

But there are a few quite knowledgeable people here, so feel free to pick our brains.
"Writing music to be revolutionary is like cooking to be famous: Music’s main function is not revolution. – Alan Belkin "

"Saying something new about something old is still saying something new. – Jamie Kowalski"

Ron

• Administrator
    • The Music of Ronald J Brown
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2011, 08:58:50 AM »
Hi Anne--and welcome. Ignore Michel. I've been exploring Celtic (especially Scottish) music lately and love the bagpipes. The trouble is when using the pipes the rest of the orchestra is out of tune.

I hope you have thick skin. The more potential we think someone has the harder we are on them.  ;D

The fact that publishers will even talk to you is fantastic. Most of us can't get within 100 meters of a publishing house (something to do with court orders).  ;)
Ron
Rules? What rules?

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
  • B.FA (composition) M.Mus (composition)
    • Les Éditions du Dos Blanc
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2011, 10:58:12 AM »
ROFL

oh come on... look at that face in the profile pic.. how can you ignore that?
 ;)

but I DO suspect the "restraining order" MIGHT be true!!  :o
"Writing music to be revolutionary is like cooking to be famous: Music’s main function is not revolution. – Alan Belkin "

"Saying something new about something old is still saying something new. – Jamie Kowalski"

flint

• Crazed weasels in a man costume
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2011, 11:17:31 AM »
*chuckle* The old joke...

"Why do bagpipers walk when they play?"

"To get away from that awful noise!"  ;D
"Music is like wine; the less you know about it, the sweeter you like it." - Robertson Davies