Challenges, Puzzles, and Exercises > Challenges

The Ash Grove Challenge

(1/2) > >>

Ron:
Attached please find a pdf of the melody of a traditional Welsh song. My great niece sang this before an audience of 1,000 with a full orchestra backing recently, which made me think of this piece as a suitable theme and variations challenge.

Simple tune, catchy, and with enough unique features that interesting things ought to be possible. Use any instrument combo you wish, but I suggest keeping it a small ensemble.

BTW, I attended the premier of Michel's "...With Apologies to Percy" this past weekend in Montreal. Remember that this work for solo piano began life as a similar challenge on this forum.

Remember the first rule of such challenges: have fun!

[old attachments deleted by admin]

tbmartin:
I did a sax quartet of Ash Grove combined with the hymntune Lyons. I started arranging in about 2003, and this has a 2004 date on it, so it's one of my earliest works.

4-bar intro
A: first statement of Ash Grove, soprano with melody
B: first statement of Lyons, alto with melody
C: alternating phrases of the two, followed by D: a "mini-fugue-esque" treatment of the melodies
E: Three layers: Soprano descant, Alto with Lyons, Tenor with Ash Grove
F: Coda.

I have a midi file at work, but the forum won't allow midi attachments. I have a recording at home, but I'm at work. Stay tuned...
Score and sound file attached.

Ron:
To be clear: though I am working on a theme and variations project, the idea which I realize now that I never stated was to write an interesting arrangement of this simple tune, as did Terence.

Ron:
Here's my introductory arrangement of the theme. (Though I migrate to the tonal centre of A at the end in my "theme and variations" project.)

Gillespie:

--- Quote from: tbmartin on May 08, 2014, 05:22:53 AM ---I did a sax quartet of Ash Grove combined with the hymntune Lyons. I started arranging in about 2003, and this has a 2004 date on it, so it's one of my earliest works.

4-bar intro
A: first statement of Ash Grove, soprano with melody
B: first statement of Lyons, alto with melody
C: alternating phrases of the two, followed by D: a "mini-fugue-esque" treatment of the melodies
E: Three layers: Soprano descant, Alto with Lyons, Tenor with Ash Grove
F: Coda.

--- End quote ---

D and E really kept my attention.  Well done!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version