Author Topic: Harmonization Exercise CFP1  (Read 2147 times)

FossMaNo1

Harmonization Exercise CFP1
« on: April 18, 2014, 08:09:21 AM »
So, I haven't seen any exercises on the board of late, so at Ron's suggestion I've decided to start one. This exercise is easy...just harmonize this very simple melody. No rules...do whatever you want. Add whatever counterpoint you want, whatever instrumentation you fancy, even modify the melody to fit your harmonic progression...gloves are off!

Just post a PDF of your harmonization and perhaps an MP3 as well.

[old attachments deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 08:18:12 AM by FossMaNo1 »
C. Foster Payne
Worship Leader at Arapahoe Road Baptist Church, martial artist, Cowboy, karateka, father, husband...wannabe composer
"If you get to thinkin' you're a person of some influence, try orderin' somebody else's dog around."

Jamie Kowalski

• All Hands Music
Re: Harmonization Exercise CFP1
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2014, 08:10:52 PM »
Here's an offbeat little piece for Bassoon, Viola, and Harp. The viola plays the melody exactly as you provided, but down an octave.

CFP Exercise pdf score
CFP Exercise mp3

Thanks for the exercise!

- Jamie

gogreen

• Art on Facebook
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2014, 11:02:40 AM »
Jamie, clever and inventive! I can see the door on this wide open for lots of development!

Art

Jamie Kowalski

• All Hands Music
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2014, 11:26:07 AM »
Thanks, Art.

I've been sketching new ideas using harp, viola, and possibly a third instrument. I thought this was a good opportunity to start some new thoughts that might be included in whatever that turns out to be.

I liked it last night but I'm already a little annoyed by it this morning. So if I flesh it out, it's probably going to change a lot. If I don't, it was at least a couple hours of fun.

FossMaNo1

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2014, 11:34:11 AM »
Jamie, the theory in your work is a little beyond me. Would you be able to explain your thought process?
C. Foster Payne
Worship Leader at Arapahoe Road Baptist Church, martial artist, Cowboy, karateka, father, husband...wannabe composer
"If you get to thinkin' you're a person of some influence, try orderin' somebody else's dog around."

Jamie Kowalski

• All Hands Music
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2014, 11:57:16 AM »
Jamie, the theory in your work is a little beyond me. Would you be able to explain your thought process?

I'm afraid the only sense of theory I could give you would come from my going back and analyzing what I did after the fact. It wouldn't really give a picture of how I wrote this, as I didn't really have much of a system. I picked an unusual tuning for the harp that would put the question to the melody's tonality, and tried out a number of different types of juxtaposition. The only thing I was really consciously trying to do was to make each instrument sound like it had its own agenda. The rest was listen, refine, repeat.

RJB54

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2014, 05:57:58 PM »
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is THE BEST.
Frank Zappa

Gillespie

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2014, 06:44:38 PM »
Here's my take. 

oops. Retake on the pdf.

[old attachments deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 07:02:24 PM by Gillespie »

Gillespie

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2014, 06:47:36 PM »
Here's an offbeat little piece for Bassoon, Viola, and Harp. The viola plays the melody exactly as you provided, but down an octave.

CFP Exercise pdf score
CFP Exercise mp3

Thanks for the exercise!

- Jamie
I really like the harmonics.

FossMaNo1

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2014, 07:17:13 AM »
RJB54, I am having a really difficult time getting to your files. It keeps timing out on me...I'll try again later.

Gillespie, what a fun little jazz arrangement!
C. Foster Payne

Jamie Kowalski

• All Hands Music
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2014, 07:26:44 AM »
That was fun, Gillespie. :)