Author Topic: Hello  (Read 1640 times)

David Stowell

Hello
« on: April 06, 2014, 07:29:36 AM »
My name is David Stowell

I gained a degree in music from Reading University (UK), back in the late 1970s, then did 3 years postgrad at the Royal College of Music (London) as a bass- baritone in the Opera Department.
Spent 10 years in the profession as an opera singer and pianist, then 20 year's in software development (which paid better!).
I have been composing for 40 year's, but compositions prior to the 1990s have ended up in the bin ( well most of them).
My music has been played around the globe, and more recently one of my pieces was performed by the Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra.

My Soundcloud account is :   http://soundcloud.com/dstowd
My scores are available at : Scoreexchange
(apart from a few that are published by German publishers)
 My Website-
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 08:08:59 AM by dstowd »

Ron

• Administrator
    • The Music of Ronald J Brown
Re: Hello
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2014, 07:36:05 AM »
My apologies, David. I took the liberty of tying to fix the link to your scores and I'm afraid I made a mess of it. I wouldn't normally do that, but I thought it would be a simple fix.  :(

The link to your web site is also messed up.

« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 07:53:46 AM by Ron »
Ron
Rules? What rules?

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
  • B.FA (composition) M.Mus (composition)
    • Les Éditions du Dos Blanc
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2014, 08:02:52 AM »
Welcome David.

I think I fixed the little problem with the URLs in your post.
"Writing music to be revolutionary is like cooking to be famous: Music’s main function is not revolution. – Alan Belkin "

"Saying something new about something old is still saying something new. – Jamie Kowalski"

David Stowell

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2014, 08:14:25 AM »
URL links are now fixed.

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
  • B.FA (composition) M.Mus (composition)
    • Les Éditions du Dos Blanc
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2014, 08:15:38 AM »
anyway, welcome David.
It's nice to come across music that is satisfyingly "crunchy" without completely losing its roots in one form of tonality or another.
"Writing music to be revolutionary is like cooking to be famous: Music’s main function is not revolution. – Alan Belkin "

"Saying something new about something old is still saying something new. – Jamie Kowalski"

BillChandler

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2014, 10:43:19 AM »
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 12:27:49 PM by M.Wiktor »

perpetuo studens

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2014, 01:54:52 PM »
Hi David. Welcome to the group. I listened to a couple of your posted pieces and liked them very much. Looking forward to your musical, and other, contributions.

Jamie
The perceived object...is not a sum of elements to be distinguished from each other and analyzed discretely, but a pattern, that is to say a form, a structure: the element's existence does not precede the existence of the whole, it comes neither before nor after it, for the parts do not determine the pattern, but the pattern determines the parts: knowledge of the pattern and of its laws, of the set and its structure, could not possibly be derived from discrete knowledge of the elements that compose it.

That means that you can look at a piece of a puzzle for three whole days, you can believe that you know all there is to know about its colouring and its shape, and be no further ahead than when you started. The only thing that counts is the ability to link this piece to other pieces...

Georges Perec - Life: A User's Manual

Gillespie

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2014, 06:53:19 PM »
Welcome, David.  I enjoyed your music very much.  Its a pleasure to have you here.
Regards,
Clay

Jamie Kowalski

• All Hands Music
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2014, 06:33:55 AM »
Good to have you here, David.

gogreen

• Art on Facebook
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2014, 06:05:36 PM »
Welcome, David!