Author Topic: "The worship of mediocrity", by Cindy Sadler (mezzo-soprano)  (Read 13295 times)

Ron

• Administrator
    • The Music of Ronald J Brown
Re: "The worship of mediocrity", by Cindy Sadler (mezzo-soprano)
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2013, 07:27:37 AM »
Actually, there is a "naked survivor" TV show. It's called "Naked and Afraid" and it's on the Discovery channel here in Canada. The premise is that man and a woman who have never met previously are abandoned on a tropical beach completely naked and are then filmed as they figure out how to survive with nothing. I saw it on the TV listings and checked it out on the web. Of course they are very heavily pixilated. Anyhow, apparently the show stinks. 

Check it out for yourselves, because you know I am prone to exaggeration: http://dsc.discovery.com/tv-shows/naked-and-afraid

thinking of telling mom that a very respectable senior canadian gentleman urged me to watch nude stuff on the net and ask for her advice (but afraid she will ask me if i was sure i hadn't already given it a go)

we do not yet have the naked survivor here, but we do have the regular one plus all the other contests (idols,etc) and the serials. great majority (mom included) dutifully watch them and pass the rest of the day with heated discussions on the last  episodes.

"Nude" might be stretching it. In the clips I watched the contestants were a blur of pixels from mid-thigh to upper chest in the case of the woman, and to about the navel in the case of the man. In other words, it is what American networks call "full nudity," but  leaves the rest of the world, including Canadians, laughing at the childish terror of the human body of American TV producers.  Holland's "Adem and Eve" might be a touch closer to something your mom might have trouble with (though, you never know...older people can sometimes surprise us with their openness to (to them) new experiences.)
Ron
Rules? What rules?

sandalwood

« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2013, 09:20:12 AM »

..."Nude" might be stretching it...

of course i was stretching it! we are all entitled to showing things in a different light (read distorting :)) as inspired by the media, are we not? hope you were not really offended by my attempt at a joke.

and i note with interest your insight into the difference in attitude to display on the screen of nudity between the states and europe (that in the new world included).
« Last Edit: November 16, 2013, 09:22:52 AM by sandalwood »

Ron

• Administrator
    • The Music of Ronald J Brown
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2013, 10:17:45 AM »
Offended? Not at all. The only thing in this world that offends me is idiocy, especially as practiced by people who are supposed to be leaders and experts--and I can't find any of that in this discussion--just good humour (note the Canadian--correct--spelling please).
Ron
Rules? What rules?