Author Topic: Slow piece for concert band/ wind band  (Read 1060 times)

mjw58

• MJW MUSIC
Slow piece for concert band/ wind band
« on: December 28, 2017, 05:25:54 PM »

I have decided to try to speed up my composing pace. It takes far too long to finish anything.  :)
As a part of this plan I will try to post music every other month or so. The posts may well be small changes on works in progress. By doing this I hope to speed up the learning-curve as well.
That means that I have a deadline of sorts and this month Iíve had to sit down and try to reach my goal. This in turn has given me new musical ideas. Ideas that may only be two bars long, but still something I can use as a part of something.  :)
The piece Iíve been working on is an older piece/ idea for Concert Band that Iíve had for some time. Itís not finished so itís a work in progress.
I havenít had time to clean up the score or do anything to the sound apart from downloading free sound libraries to try to get different timbres to clarinets, flutes, saxes etc. These sections consist of several players on each part so they should sound a bit different.
Thereís no title yet and there are staffs with no music. 
Maybe I can use this piece as a middle section in a suite with the last piece I posted as the opening section.
Any comments or suggestions very much appreciated.

https://app.box.com/s/krwdizlfeawfp5nsrz20p21xykk1iv94

https://app.box.com/s/3pvcvtgzn6xx9yxt1ibdi0ave2go0k6x

Morten
Compositions: Wind band, Brass band and Fanfare
Platform: Windows 10
Notation: Finale 25
DAW: Cubase 8
Instrument: Bassoon, Euphonium
Day Job: TEGG Technician

gogreen

• Art on Facebook
Re: Slow piece for concert band/ wind band
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2017, 11:21:43 AM »
Morten: As a germ of an idea, I like it. Sounds like there's lots of potential here for development. Two cautions: First, I'd guard against making this piece, intentionally or unintentionally, a hybrid--that is, a piece that spans several grade levels. This might work, though, if you're composing it for a specific group with known section and player abilities. Second, consider judicious doubling of oboe and bassoon parts, among others. Concert bands at lesser playing levels may need thoughtful doubling of these parts and maybe other parts.

Just my opinion, but Eb clarinet isn't necessary, at least, not here in the states. Same deal with cornets--I'd change them to Bb trumpets.

I like your idea of speeding up your composing pace. I should try your strategy. Please do let me know how that goes.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 11:23:45 AM by gogreen »

mjf1947

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2017, 06:11:56 PM »
I think this work has lots of potential.  I like the build-up in the beginning and how the instruments and sections introduce the theme(s).

Definitely keep working on it.  And the thematic material is quite pleasant.

Mark

Jerry Engelbach

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2017, 02:14:42 AM »
Lovely theme and engaging orchestration.

Reminds me a little of Vaughan Williams.

I wonder if it might turn out to be more than what you call a "slow piece." It definitely has possibilities for expansion into a faster section.

Cheers,
Jer
« Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 02:20:18 AM by Jerry Engelbach »
Finale 25
GPO 5
iMac El Capitan

mjw58

• MJW MUSIC
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2017, 09:28:16 AM »
Thank you all for the kind comments. :)

Art: Thank you for the ďwarningsĒ about Eb Clarinet etc. Itís used by many European composers. I never use it as an essential part. Just for sound colour. As the piece develops I guess the grade level will establish itself more clearly. When it comes to doubling/ quing I plan to do this, but things will probably change a lot so Iíll do that later when things are more finished. Itís already in my head. Iíll keep you posted if my plan regarding speeding up actually works.  :)

Mark: Iím very glad you liked the thematic material and the build-up. I think I was trying to introduce the material in a soft manner adding more instruments with regular intervals.  Iím glad it actually worked.  :)

Jer: I didnít have Vaughan Williams in mind when composing this, but I have tried to get the sound of P. A. Grainger lately.

Again, thank you. And I wish the forum a happy new year.  :)

Morten

gogreen

• Art on Facebook
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2018, 06:06:09 AM »
Morten and others: How about posting something for brass band!

mjw58

• MJW MUSIC
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2018, 11:09:46 AM »
Sorry Art, I didn't notice your last post. Sorry.

I'll try to post something for Brass Band. Hope others will do too.

Morten