Author Topic: humoresques  (Read 1438 times)

flint

• Crazed weasels in a man costume
Re: humoresques
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2018, 08:54:02 AM »
Took some time on the second movement and decided that I agreed with everyone—the initial form of intro - A - A' - B - B' was indeed too short. I've added a slightly slower middle section to round it out the form (A A' B B' C C').

I didn't want to add too much as this movement is reprised in part in two other movements (in abbreviated form). Bits of the first movement (burlesque) is also developed a bit in the very last movement.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 02:47:58 PM by flint »
"Music is like wine; the less you know about it, the sweeter you like it." - Robertson Davies

Jerry Engelbach

« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2018, 09:52:48 AM »

I'm glad you said that some of this will be reprised, because the way it is now it leaves one wanting more — which is a good thing.

Alternatively, it does seem like a piece that could be expanded in a later work. After it ends, I wish I could hear the middle part again.

Cheers,
Jer
Finale 25
GPO 5
iMac El Capitan

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
  • B.FA (composition) M.Mus (composition)
    • Les Éditions du Dos Blanc
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2018, 11:01:02 AM »
popping in for a second between bouts of other things..
a quick linguistic correction: Petite valse (feminine noun).
also, in French, the 1st full word (not counting any preliminary conjunctions or articles: Le, La, Les, Un, Une - which are also capitalized) is capitalized but not any subsequent words in a multi-word title.
"Writing music to be revolutionary is like cooking to be famous: Music’s main function is not revolution. – Alan Belkin "

"Saying something new about something old is still saying something new. – Jamie Kowalski"

flint

« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2018, 05:45:05 PM »
D’oh! Yup, and after we talked about it, too. Will have to correct the files and my temporary title page.   >:(
"Music is like wine; the less you know about it, the sweeter you like it." - Robertson Davies

flint

« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2018, 09:37:52 PM »
Added the third movement, a tango, based on a fragment I had written several years ago.

First time I have ever used hemidemisemiquavers! LOL

RJB54

« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2018, 04:33:50 PM »
I just had a chance to listen to #3. Interesting piece.

For me the humor of it is that a piece identified as a tango is mostly expressive in character and doesn't really become a tango until almost the end.
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is THE BEST.
Frank Zappa

flint

« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2018, 02:48:45 PM »
I just had a chance to listen to #3. Interesting piece.

For me the humor of it is that a piece identified as a tango is mostly expressive in character and doesn't really become a tango until almost the end.

LOL, I'm glad someone got the joke!  ;D

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2018, 03:00:57 PM »
that one corbeau sure is rather pensive, though isn't he.
it's funny, there's little spots that are almost "Concierto de Aranjuez".
"Writing music to be revolutionary is like cooking to be famous: Music’s main function is not revolution. – Alan Belkin "

"Saying something new about something old is still saying something new. – Jamie Kowalski"

flint

« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2018, 04:35:44 PM »
that one corbeau sure is rather pensive, though isn't he.
it's funny, there's little spots that are almost "Concierto de Aranjuez".

LOL I had never heard of this work until today with your post... but it's playing on SiriusXM right this very minute as I sit in my car waiting for rehearsal!

I can see the resemblance!

Jerry Engelbach

« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2018, 12:33:43 PM »
Number 3 certainly lives up to its name, humoresque. Just when the folks get up to tango, it ends.

It's enjoyable following your building of this series one piece at a time.

Cheers,
Jer
Finale 25
GPO 5
iMac El Capitan

flint

« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2018, 09:00:46 PM »
Added the fourth movement, a reprise of portions of the first waltz.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 09:04:37 PM by flint »

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2018, 07:04:27 AM »
It has a nice, very French, wry humour. A bit reminiscent of Les Six, or Jean Françaix (whose piano concertino is a work I greatly admire).
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 07:59:28 AM by Michel.R.E »

flint

« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2018, 07:08:48 AM »
It has a nice, very French, wry humour. A bit reminiscent of Les Six, or Jean Françaix (whose piano concertino is a work is greatly admire).
I have an unabashed love for Françaix. Listening to “L’Horloge De Flora” right now...

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2018, 07:58:59 AM »
"L'Horloge" is a Françaix work I only recently discovered, it is absolutely wonderful, I concur.

RJB54

« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2018, 04:54:08 PM »
I just had a chance to listen to the fourth movement. Nice little waltz.

I don't know about this one, I'm not sure that this works with just English Horns. I kept hearing other colors in my mind's ear while the piece was unfolding. Maybe the basic material is not best served by this ensemble (at least to my ear).
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is THE BEST.
Frank Zappa