Author Topic: Tribute to Joe Ford: Final Version  (Read 1811 times)

Jamie Kowalski

• All Hands Music
Re: Very short orchestral work
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2017, 06:31:37 AM »
Such a nice, sweet little piece!

Longer version, please. :)

gogreen

• Art on Facebook
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2018, 06:09:50 AM »
Ron: I apologize for the horribly late response on this. This work is lovely, and I love the doting flute intro. The 2018 performance aside, I agree with others about a longer version. As the piece ended, I hear this piece in a short crescendo to a forte full orchestra statement with further development. Lots to go on here--very meaty for development.

Ron

• Administrator
    • The Music of Ronald J Brown
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2018, 02:32:59 PM »
Actually Art, I had already made up my mind that I wasn't going to submit this to the Delians and go ahead with my plans to quit the group, but your comment, late as it is, encouraged me to take another look at it. I had already incorporated many suggestions, including Nickie's.
Ron
Rules? What rules?

Ron

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2018, 07:40:03 PM »
Okay, I've got a B theme.
Ron
Rules? What rules?

Ron

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2018, 01:35:08 PM »
99% done. It needs some touch up here and there and some score polishing. As many of you know, this was supposed to be part of a Delian Society project in memory of its founder who died suddenly about a year ago. I have been quite disenchanted with this group for some time and stuck with it only for Joe. Now that he is gone, I am shaking off the shackles this group places on its members. They had restricted the length of this work to one minute, which, as you realize, is a ridiculous length for an orchestral work. So, I bypassed them and went straight to the orchestra and they will include it in a performance once I get it done. So, comments very much appreciated.

NOTE: I found a number of errors after I posted this yesterday. Darned transposing instruments kept wandering into the wrong key. Corrected files attached.

Added a short section for violas as per Michel's suggestion.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 07:11:01 AM by Ron »
Ron
Rules? What rules?

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
  • B.FA (composition) M.Mus (composition)
    • Les Éditions du Dos Blanc
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2018, 10:38:02 AM »
It's very beautiful. The melody is subtle and moving.

A comment possibly for a later work:

I like that your melodies don't start and stop on strong beats, but there are a number of spots where it starts bordering on fragmentary.  Consider either holding notes from the previous measure into the next measure, or possibly (my preference) playing the 1st note of the new melody starting before the beat where it would normally start. So in other words, take advantage of potential suspensions and appoggiaturas.

one spot that struck me was at measure 40.
the preceding measures are really striking with the high winds and strings playing, with no bass.
but the movement from 40 into 41 could have used a temporary extra part in the viola or something, to lead into measure 41. The stop in the phrase on that dotted half note sort of puts a damper on the wonderful effect of that change in register.
"Writing music to be revolutionary is like cooking to be famous: Music’s main function is not revolution. – Alan Belkin "

"Saying something new about something old is still saying something new. – Jamie Kowalski"

Ron

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2018, 10:52:07 AM »
I see what you mean Michel. I'll work on that. I have a few days before Matt wants to see the final.
Ron
Rules? What rules?

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2018, 01:40:46 PM »
oh, a hint for preparing parts for this group: do not be afraid to put in LOTS and lots of cues.
I had nearly no multi-measure rests in the parts of my "Impressions", each part had heavy cues all the way through.
"Writing music to be revolutionary is like cooking to be famous: Music’s main function is not revolution. – Alan Belkin "

"Saying something new about something old is still saying something new. – Jamie Kowalski"

Ron

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2018, 02:58:29 PM »
Thanks Michel. I added a short passage for violas typing the two sections together.
Ron
Rules? What rules?

Ron

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2018, 07:14:48 AM »
I removed all the earlier versions I had posted, as I figured they just confused things. As I was preparing parts I still found errors. Here it is, finally, with a few small changes and, I hope, all the errors caught. I'd appreciate if anyone has the time to check and make sure i don;t have an E natural in one part and an Eb in another--it is not that kind of work. Thanks.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 03:26:54 PM by Ron »
Ron
Rules? What rules?

RJB54

Re: Tribute to Joe Ford: Final Version
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2018, 06:24:16 PM »
I finally had a chance to listen to the final version. Quite moving. Good job.
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is THE BEST.
Frank Zappa

Jerry Engelbach

« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2018, 01:48:54 PM »
Extraordinarily beautiful, Ron. Lovely development of the melody with different instrument combinations and rhythmic variations.

One question: Why "div." marks in bar 55?

Cheers,
Jer
Finale 25
GPO 5
iMac El Capitan

Ron

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2018, 03:25:53 PM »
Oh dear. I had originally divided the 2nd violins and violas there, but decided as the orchestra was so small, (only 3 violas, I believe) to rework those sections. I just checked and the copy I sent for the conductor (and the player parts) had those expressions removed.

I reposted above using the final copy. (Good eye, Jer.)
Ron
Rules? What rules?

Patrick O'Keefe

« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2018, 09:18:56 PM »
Performed last Sunday by the Octava Chamber Orchestra.  A very effective, moving piece.  This was placed last in the 5 tributes to Joe and was a very fitting close.  Well done, Ron. 

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2018, 12:52:56 AM »
I hope we get to hear the recording soon!
I'll put a bit of pressure on the concert master ;)