Author Topic: Lighthearted Piece for Piano, Violin, Viola, and Cello (added PDF + audio files)  (Read 88 times)

Luka Puka

This was one of the first times I've ever written for an ensemble, as I mostly compose for solo piano. It was for a contest, but I originally started the bulk of it as a leisurely thing, hence the "lighthearted piece." My style is really much like this, anyway. It's like pseudo-modern Japanese music in classical form. It is sort of similar to sonata form being in an ABAcoda shape.

I've made a YouTube video with the sheet music and audio in it: https://youtu.be/YQUWYimjYo8?t=2.
EDIT: PDF has been attached for a larger view of the score + added MP3 audio file for more prominence in strings and piano in background

I'm eager to take any pointers at all on the orchestration/playability part of it, as I don't know the exact difficulty of certain double stops, jumps, runs, arpeggios, etc.

Thanks
« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 08:41:52 PM by Luka Puka »

Jerry Engelbach

Re: Lighthearted Piece for Piano, Violin, Viola, and Cello
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2017, 04:01:32 PM »
Luka,

It's very inventive and a lot of fun.

For playback, I think the piano is too prominent. For much of it I couldn't clearly hear the strings and their interactions with each other. I'd like to hear it with the piano accompaniment mostly just in the background.

Cheers,
Jer
Finale 25
GPO 5
iMac El Capitan

Luka Puka

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2017, 04:07:39 PM »
I was thinking the exact same thing initially. I may lower its volume and record again later, thanks.

RJB54

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2017, 04:29:25 PM »
Excellent!

To me it sounds like it could be a piece from one of the Les Six in terms of feel and effect, although harmonically its a little too common practice.
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is THE BEST.
Frank Zappa

whitebark

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2017, 09:09:20 PM »
I certainly enjoyed listening to your lively, jazzy piece.  The harmonies and melodies flow nicely. You might want to post a PDF of the score so people here can take a closer look at it.

-Jay

RJB54

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2017, 04:52:37 PM »
I agree with Jay. The music is a little small and thus hard to read in the video (especially for those of with vision issues).
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is THE BEST.
Frank Zappa

sandalwood

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2017, 05:44:24 AM »
I agree with others that this sounds solid, playful and fun. It is too silent, yes, strings more than the piano.

Is there a tiny reference to Ravel?

Luka Puka

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2017, 04:37:45 PM »
I agree with Jay. The music is a little small and thus hard to read in the video (especially for those of with vision issues).

I certainly enjoyed listening to your lively, jazzy piece.  The harmonies and melodies flow nicely. You might want to post a PDF of the score so people here can take a closer look at it.

-Jay

Thanks, and I can certainly insert a PDF into the original post.

Luka Puka

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2017, 04:53:05 PM »
I agree with others that this sounds solid, playful and fun. It is too silent, yes, strings more than the piano.

Is there a tiny reference to Ravel?

Alright, then I'll re-record and lower the volume on the piano.

At the end there is a tiny tremolo part in the two 6/8 measures followed by a 2/8 measure where the violin and cello have tremolo markings, and the end contains fortissimo pizzicato chords, both of which were inspired by the finale of Ravel's String Quartet in F. There is also a high Bb chord in the piano part towards the end following two grace notes, which was a reference to the last chord in his Alborada del Gracioso.

mjf1947

Well I'm glad I didn't miss this little gem.

It's a bit"french" "jazzy" however, overall eclectic in sound.

I personally love Jazz Violin .......

Mark

Luka Puka

Thanks for the kind words, but I sort of hoped to hear genuine criticism on anything at all on any aspect of this piece. After all it is one of my first compositions...