Author Topic: What's the piece?  (Read 1712 times)

WillHu

What's the piece?
« on: January 06, 2016, 03:20:41 AM »
Title says it all.

Ron

• Administrator
  • Finale Beta Tester
    • The Music of Ronald J Brown
Re: What's the piece?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2016, 06:53:15 AM »
Hi Will,
I don't think anyone is going to get this. With no clef I can only guess that it is a 1st inversion D minor chord in the treble clef; or possible an inverted F major in the bass clef--or an E minor in the alto clef. And there must be a couple of zillion works that start with an inverted arpeggio in one of those keys.
Ron
Administrator Compose Forums

Rules are for people who have no understanding of music, so they invent something to mask their ignorance.

WillHu

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2016, 06:55:47 AM »
Take another look - it's not the notes themselves that are important. There's something pretty odd about that closeup and once you realise what kind of a piece it is, it's probably the most famous example of a piece of that kind and not too hard to find. Google search the right key word which isn't too hard to get from the screenshot and it's the first result.

I think this closeup, however closeup, is distinctive enough :)

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
  • B.FA (composition) M.Mus (composition)
    • Les Éditions du Dos Blanc
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2016, 07:33:12 AM »
John Stump, Faerie’s Aire and Death Waltz

technically, not really a piece of music since it is a complete impossibility.
it's notational satire done by an engraver.
"Writing music to be revolutionary is like cooking to be famous: Music’s main function is not revolution. – Alan Belkin "

"Saying something new about something old is still saying something new. – Jamie Kowalski"

WillHu

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2016, 07:36:40 AM »
Yup, that's correct.
It was actually performed once (you can find it on YouTube) but even that was done for the humorous effect.
You're right in saying it's not a piece of music - but I thought it'd be fun to post something a bit unexpected.

AO

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2016, 07:54:17 PM »
"John Stump, Faerie’s Aire and Death Waltz"

Wow, that was pretty impressive.  My Guess would have been, Ives, Penderiki or an abstract picture of Abe Lincoln.