Author Topic: Harmony question  (Read 1578 times)

uncle808us

• Composer, Arranger,
    • Uncle808us' Webpage
Harmony question
« on: September 14, 2013, 12:25:02 PM »
Is the first note " e " in this phrase a lead in note or should it be harmonized? How would you harmonize this phrase?

[attachment older than 180 days]
MacBook Pro 15 in.  OS X 10.8.2, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB
Mac: Logic 9 (producing), iReal b (progressions)
iPod: MusicStudio (melody and rhythm ideas) Reflow(composition,arranging) iReal b (progressions)

Ron

• Administrator
  • Finale Beta Tester
    • The Music of Ronald J Brown
Re: Harmony question
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2013, 12:40:38 PM »
The first 1/8th note can be whatever you want it to be, depending on the musical context and what you are trying to achieve. I can think of a half-dozen different ways off the top of my head that I might handle that phrase.
Ron
Administrator Compose Forums

Rules are for people who have no understanding of music, so they invent something to mask their ignorance.

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
  • B.FA (composition) M.Mus (composition)
    • Les Éditions du Dos Blanc
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2013, 12:45:22 PM »
I see two harmonies per measure, and it seems relatively straightforward.
the "D" quarter note in the 1st measure is a neighbour tone "non chord tone".

I could see the 2nd harmony of measure 1 being a secondary dominant that leads to the 1st chord of measure 2, which in turn would be a secondary dominant to the 2nd half of measure 2, which in turn could function as the dominant of measure 1. it all depends on what happens next in the music. it's a little hard to extrapolate too far from a very limited sample.
"Writing music to be revolutionary is like cooking to be famous: Music’s main function is not revolution. – Alan Belkin "

"Saying something new about something old is still saying something new. – Jamie Kowalski"

uncle808us

• Composer, Arranger,
    • Uncle808us' Webpage
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2013, 04:41:32 PM »
I see two harmonies per measure, and it seems relatively straightforward.
the "D" quarter note in the 1st measure is a neighbour tone "non chord tone".

I could see the 2nd harmony of measure 1 being a secondary dominant that leads to the 1st chord of measure 2, which in turn would be a secondary dominant to the 2nd half of measure 2, which in turn could function as the dominant of measure 1. it all depends on what happens next in the music. it's a little hard to extrapolate too far from a very limited sample.
For some reason I was thinking the "D" and the "E" in the first measure would be the notes to harmonize since the "E" is only an eighth note, (showing my ignorance here) how do you figure out that the "D" is a non chord tone? Is it because there are more notes belonging to a "C" chord? following that line of thinking in the next measure the "E" would be the non chord tone in a Dm Chord. Am I on the right track here?
MacBook Pro 15 in.  OS X 10.8.2, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB
Mac: Logic 9 (producing), iReal b (progressions)
iPod: MusicStudio (melody and rhythm ideas) Reflow(composition,arranging) iReal b (progressions)

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
  • B.FA (composition) M.Mus (composition)
    • Les Éditions du Dos Blanc
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2013, 05:01:15 PM »
I'm seeing C for the 1st half of measure 1, then A minor for the 2nd half (depending on musical style, it could be A minor with a 7th added).

The A minor chord serves as a sort of dominant to...

the first chord of measure 2 could be D minor (again, could also have an added 7th), then G7 (dominant in C).
"Writing music to be revolutionary is like cooking to be famous: Music’s main function is not revolution. – Alan Belkin "

"Saying something new about something old is still saying something new. – Jamie Kowalski"