Author Topic: Mother and Son - Trio Oboe Clarinet Bassoon  (Read 111 times)

mjf1947

Mother and Son - Trio Oboe Clarinet Bassoon
« on: November 08, 2017, 06:28:24 AM »
Here's another short work.

Hope you enjoy ....

All suggestions/reviews welcome.

Mark

Jerry Engelbach

Re: Mother and Son - Trio Oboe Clarinet Bassoon
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2017, 10:12:42 AM »
Mark,

I love it. It's a medieval pastorale.

The contrasting sections are very effective.

The sounds of the three instruments are engaging.

My only complaint is that it's short. Perhaps each section could be expanded so that when the contrasts come, they provide even more of a relief.

Cheers,
Jer
Finale 25
GIFF
iMac

whitebark

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2017, 09:59:40 AM »
It's more renaissance than medieval, I think.  At any rate, I enjoyed listening to your piece, Mark. Your harmony and counterpoint techniques work well to create the neo-renaissance flavor of the music.

It looks like there is a three part structure, separated by the little breaks - a dance-like first section, a more contemplative middle section, than a final short section that is more lively. That final section seems too short, as compared with the first two. We want to hear more!

The energy in the first section - initially driven by the fast notes in the bassoon part - seems to run out after awhile.  I'd like to hear the dance-like energy continue through the first section. Perhaps the piece could benefit from more textural variation. Perhaps add some solo sections, like the nice little introductory flourish that the bassoon plays.

What are your plans for this piece?  Are you going to expand it?  Is it going to be performed?

Jay
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 10:38:40 AM by whitebark »

mjf1947

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2017, 11:39:50 AM »
Jerry and Jay ................

Thanks for the review ..... and positive feedback.

I actually have another section .... Originally I thought the work would have a few short segments reflecting on the Mother - child relationship.

You are right in that the initial section is a playful interlude (dance or such) followed by a mid-section of contemplation about her child ... a moment of thought ... endearment and loss.

Let me see .... with such encouragement I should do more with it.

Mark

sandalwood

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2017, 02:27:44 PM »
This sounds nice and fun, Mark! Look forward to seeing it expanded.

Reha

Patrick O'Keefe

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2017, 03:06:57 PM »
I agree with all the comments already made.  I was definitely not ready for it to end.  Even if you keep the three sections short I think extending the 3rd part a bit would help.  Actually, I'd like to hear more of all of it.

RJB54

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2017, 06:00:06 AM »
Very nice.

I agree that the piece is more renaissance than medieval. Medieval would have more emphasis on fourths and fifths.

I think you definitely consider expanding the basic material into a full (but still somewhat short) three movement work, three character pieces as it were.
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is THE BEST.
Frank Zappa

mjf1947

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2017, 03:16:58 PM »
Okay ... here's an expanded mid-section and few bassoon tweaks.

Does it work?

https://app.box.com/s/cclx7u0sejd4pm1dyld9e0crv9jq0yes   mp3

https://app.box.com/s/lqecep65j322iadb2fsxnykthtaxdfpy     pdf

Mark

« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 03:20:48 PM by mjf1947 »

Jerry Engelbach

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2017, 01:07:29 PM »
Mark,

I like that you lengthened it. It's developing into a really nice piece, fun to listen to.

Forgive me if I have a couple of caveats ...

I didn't feel as much contrast between sections as in the previous version.

In some parts it feels a bit wandering.

There are some harmonies in the 4/4 section that seem to me to clash with the overall feeling. Oddly, when I played them on the piano they didn't bother me.

I don't realize that the meter has changed to 4/4 until it plays for a bit. A tempo change would be more of a clue.

Cheers,
Jer
Finale 25
GIFF
iMac

mjf1947

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2017, 01:13:50 PM »
Thanks for the feedback ..... I agree.

Mark

whitebark

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2017, 08:51:14 AM »
Your piece has a much more satisfying  length now. Bringing back some of the initial melodies at the end provides a sense of closure.

It would be nice if there was a little more contrast between the 4 or so sections of the piece. Try changing the tempo, as suggested above.  Or use a more aggressive modulation ... you could try shifting a whole section up or down in pitch.

Regards,
Jay

Patrick O'Keefe

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2017, 12:05:53 PM »
I agree with Jay that this is a much better length - more satisfying.   And I agree with Jerry that the switch to 4/4 is not obvious, but my reaction is different.  I think vague and/or ambiguous meters work well sometimes and this is one of those times.  I don't see a need to emphasize the change. 

Jerry commented about the harmonies in the 4/4 section that seemed to clash with the feeling of the movement.  I felt that maybe those harmonies could actually be milked a bit making it somewhat more jarring before returning to the earlier (and later) feeling.  But that may not fit the programmatic nature of the work.

Something odd happens to the harmony or modulation around mm 50-55 that I didn't follow but maybe that was intentional.  if so, forget I said anything.  (And I'm the last person in the world who should comment on awkward harmonies and modulations considering the blunders I make.)

I'm not sure how I feel about the subtle differences between sections.  I didn't think the sections needed to be more obvious. 

All in all a very nice work.