Author Topic: Classical Symphony  (Read 102 times)

whitebark

Classical Symphony
« on: October 28, 2017, 01:07:04 PM »
My "Classical Symphony" is a light-hearted work inspired by such neo-classical works such as Prokofiev's "Classical Symphony".  It's not the most profound piece of music, but I am rather fond of it, as it was the first new work I had composed after a long break (from the mid '90's to 2010). Harmonically, my little symphony doesn't break new ground, but there are occasional drifts into modernism.

Here's the last movement:

mp3

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kj31b490xg6qh7m/Rondo%20V12.mp3?dl=0

score:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qwcty0frlpuw3v4/Rondo%20v12.pdf?dl=0

« Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 11:20:57 AM by whitebark »

Jerry Engelbach

Re: Classical Symphony
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2017, 12:01:28 PM »
Jay,

I'm blown away.

I'm not technically literate re all the details of orchestration, so I'll just say it sounds great.

Your interspersing of timbres is witty and gives each set of instruments an interesting part.

The dynamics are exciting and really keep one awake (that's a compliment).

Thank you.

Cheers,
Jer

P.S. I wish Noteperformer were available for Finale.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 12:03:18 PM by Jerry Engelbach »
Finale 25
GIFF
iMac

whitebark

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2017, 05:15:38 PM »
Hi Jerry, thanks for the nice comment!  I'm no expert in orchestration, but my ability certainly has benefited from hanging around this forum. I also bought a copy of Sam Adler's orchestration textbook, which has been helpful.

Regards,
Jay

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
  • B.FA (composition) M.Mus (composition)
    • Les Éditions du Dos Blanc
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2017, 11:39:18 AM »
quick comment: the high D in the 1st flute in those opening measures is just begging for trouble.

otherwise, it sounds solidly classical, à la Haydn. I can't say it's a sound world I find appealing. There seem to be a few spots where the harmony gets a bit cluttered and confuse (some chromaticism that is more "out of place" than actually interesting).

the string slurs could use some work, and articulations and such (which you mentioned in your initial posting) would need some work.

the format (that website) makes the score a bit difficult to follow. I prefer a straightforward PDF I can look at with Adobe.
"Writing music to be revolutionary is like cooking to be famous: Music’s main function is not revolution. – Alan Belkin "

"Saying something new about something old is still saying something new. – Jamie Kowalski"

whitebark

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2017, 12:38:58 PM »
Thanks for having a listen, Michel! 

There should be a "download" option somewhere on the PDF preview page, should you want your own copy of the score.

Regarding cluttered and muddy harmony - you should have heard the piece a year ago. I've already done a great deal of simplification - sounds like the piece could use some more.

Chromatic harmony glitches - you may have heard some spots where I tried to jazz up the harmony a bit in the first movement.  I agree, some of those efforts sound a bit misguided (particularly in the development section of the first movement).  I will probably make some changes.

Regards,
 Jay

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
  • B.FA (composition) M.Mus (composition)
    • Les Éditions du Dos Blanc
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2017, 12:52:03 PM »
I realize my post may seem curt...
I didn't want to come across as cold or uncaring.
I was truthful in that the sound world of the classical era isn't one of my favourites, despite there being a work or two from that period that I do like.

Other than some of the errors  pointed to, your piece seems relatively soundly written. I think your rewrite could go in either direction: either make it "more classical", or go the Prokoviev route and find MORE in the piece to alter and move it a few steps away from the classical period. I find the potential of the 2nd route far more appealing and would encourage you to consider it at some point.
"Writing music to be revolutionary is like cooking to be famous: Music’s main function is not revolution. – Alan Belkin "

"Saying something new about something old is still saying something new. – Jamie Kowalski"

whitebark

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2017, 10:03:14 AM »
If I continue improving the work, I'll definitely go the Prokofiev route - which reminds me, I should listen to his Classical Symphony again and figure out what makes it "modern". Another neo-classical symphony worth studying is Stravinsky's Symphony in C.

But perhaps the best course of action is to treat my symphony as a historical relic and move on to other things.