Author Topic: A new short orchestral work  (Read 288 times)

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
  • B.FA (composition) M.Mus (composition)
    • Les Éditions du Dos Blanc
Re: A new short orchestral work
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2017, 10:39:52 PM »
I also like having been forced to find alternatives to the harp.
In a way, I think adding a harp would have made it a bit more "cliché".
"Writing music to be revolutionary is like cooking to be famous: Music’s main function is not revolution. – Alan Belkin "

"Saying something new about something old is still saying something new. – Jamie Kowalski"

RJB54

« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2017, 02:07:08 PM »
I also like having been forced to find alternatives to the harp.
In a way, I think adding a harp would have made it a bit more "cliché".

I agree. I hear so many pieces that use the harp and you could almost dictate before hearing the piece how the harp will be used. As I said dropping the harp and coming up with other ways of accomplishing similar things makes a piece more interesting (at least to me).
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is THE BEST.
Frank Zappa

Luka Puka

« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2017, 09:30:21 PM »
I'm almost in tears. The orchestration was beautiful. The melodies were yearning and nostalgic to me.

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2017, 12:51:22 AM »
thank-you very much Luka.
I think this is one of my more accessible and direct pieces, so I'm happy it made you feel something. That was pretty much the goal.
"Writing music to be revolutionary is like cooking to be famous: Music’s main function is not revolution. – Alan Belkin "

"Saying something new about something old is still saying something new. – Jamie Kowalski"

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2017, 11:02:25 PM »
At some point you have to stop revising and stop looking for errors.

So tonight I sent off the orchestral score and all the orchestra parts to the printers to be printed, bound, then shipped to the conductor and to the orchestra librarian.

Now I can get back to work revising my song cycle "The Unknown River".. I still feel there are a few spots that need more breath. I have a contralto looking at the score now who is interested in performing the songs.

And I really wish my damned string quartet would come together. The ideas are there, it's just not jelling in my head yet "as a whole".