Author Topic: Some books to add to your reading list  (Read 121 times)

whitebark

Some books to add to your reading list
« on: September 19, 2017, 11:08:10 AM »
Now that fall is approaching, and the weather is turning frightful, its time to think about what music-related books you might want to add to your reading list.  Here are a couple ideas:

Mozart in the Jungle: Sex, Drugs, and Classical Music by Blair Tindall

This book covers the highs and lows of Ms. Tindall's career as a professional oboe player in New York.  A real soap opera, with a serious side: the book contains a lengthy discussion of the economics of classical music performance. A must read for your music students pondering a performing career - it will give them a serious  reality check. Available in Kindle format if you are in a hurry to read it.

Real Men Don't Rehearse: (Adventures in the Secret World of Professional Orchestras) by Justin Locke

This is a much lighter read than the "Mozart in the Jungle book".  This book describes the life of a bass player in the Boston Pops.  Kindle version available.

What other music related books have you enjoyed lately?  Not textbooks, of course - more like biographies, novels...
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 06:12:44 PM by whitebark »

BillReed

Re: Some books to add to your reading list
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2017, 12:25:05 PM »
Mozart in the Jungle was also made into a TV series
Finale 25, Notion 6, Overture 5, Cubase8.5
Win10 x64, 32GB RAM, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20
Kontakt, VSL VI, VE Pro, EWQL Orch, Choir and Pianos
August Forster 190

whitebark

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2017, 12:40:52 PM »
I haven't seen the TV version - I hear it is quite different than the book.

whitebark

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2017, 09:40:01 AM »
Here are a couple more books (both composer autobiographies) to add to your winter reading list:

"Hallelujah Junction: Composing an American Life" by John Adams

"Words without Music" by Phillip Glass

I enjoyed reading both of these.  Believe it or not, Glass took lessons from the inimitable Nadia Boulanger.  The incident that occurs when Nadia spots an error in his counterpoint exercise is worth the price of admission.  Glass still gets annoyed when people tell him to get music lessons!

-Jay

Jerry Engelbach

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2017, 05:43:40 AM »

I had seen the TV series of "Mozart in the Jungle" and then read the book. There was almost no similarity between them, except for the lead character being an oboist.

Like many productions about ostensibly technical subjects, it avoided most real discussion about music itself, underestimating its audience. I enjoyed it, but it was soap opera.

The book was another story. I highly recommend it to others.

I'm looking forward to reading some of your other suggestions. Most of my books on serious music are much older, composer biographies and the like. And then there's Adler's "Orchestration," which I'm slowly getting into.

Cheers,
Jer
Finale 25
GIFF
iMac

whitebark

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2017, 09:43:26 PM »
I have Sam Adler's orchestration textbook, too. It's a good reference on the various instruments and orchestration techniques. Did you get the companion CD?  I don't have it, but I'm thinking it would be nice to have, so that I could listen to the many musical examples in the book.

-Jay

Jerry Engelbach

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2017, 05:46:35 AM »
I don't have the CD, because I downloaded the book from the Internet.

I'm famiiar with passages from a certain amount of the music and have been using YouTube to listen to some of the others.

Cheers,
Jer

Finale 25
GIFF
iMac