Author Topic: Hairpins vs text  (Read 113 times)

Patrick O'Keefe

Hairpins vs text
« on: September 14, 2017, 08:02:23 PM »
I replace hairpins with "cresc. . ." and "dim. . ." when they cross system breaks.  I'm not sure where I picked this up.  Is this a reasonable or necessary practice?  The only thing I've seen in Gould and Read regarding this replacement is if the hairpins are so long that the lines look parallel.  Doing (and undoing) these replacements takes a lot of time when making changes.  I don't mind doing it if it is required and/or appreciated, but I would love to hear it is unnecessary.

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
  • B.FA (composition) M.Mus (composition)
    • Les Éditions du Dos Blanc
Re: Hairpins vs text
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2017, 08:51:02 PM »
personally, if a hairpin is going to extend longer than a system I tend to use text. though not always.
"Writing music to be revolutionary is like cooking to be famous: Music’s main function is not revolution. – Alan Belkin "

"Saying something new about something old is still saying something new. – Jamie Kowalski"

flint

• Crazed weasels in a man costume
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2017, 09:07:29 PM »
I won't using hairpins if they extend past 4 measures. I also avoid placing them over a line break; I'll rejigger the placement of measures if at all possible so that they are on one line.
"Music is like wine; the less you know about it, the sweeter you like it." - Robertson Davies

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
  • B.FA (composition) M.Mus (composition)
    • Les Éditions du Dos Blanc
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2017, 03:06:02 AM »
One thing I wish Finale would add is the ability to create a single  line smartshape of "cresc----poco----a----poco----".
"Writing music to be revolutionary is like cooking to be famous: Music’s main function is not revolution. – Alan Belkin "

"Saying something new about something old is still saying something new. – Jamie Kowalski"