Author Topic: Hybrid Chords  (Read 449 times)

saltamontes

Hybrid Chords
« on: October 05, 2016, 03:35:49 PM »
Friends,

My intention is to post all of the Reharmonization sections sequentially, however I am adding this section on Hybrid (Slash) Chords now because the information will be useful as there will soon be a discussion of reharmonizing with Slash Chords.  These hybrid chords have an open feeling and thus rather vague as to where they will resolve.  Soon we will see them used very effectively in combination with Pedal Point.  Enjoy....

P.S.  These attachments are musx files.  If you are using an earlier version of Finale (prior to 2014), you can download the FREE Finale NotePad program at: http://www.finalemusic.com/products/finale-notepad/resources/
The main strength in these study files is the playback capability of the Finale format (otherwise, you have to play the examples manually which can be tedious and tiring). 
Hold gently the hearts of those you love. For once they are gone, you will shed a thousand tears for each one you caused and the memory of each callous moment will be your companion.   Saltamontes

winknotes

Re: Hybrid Chords
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2016, 06:20:29 PM »
This is really terrific Saltamontes.  Where were you when I was in college :)  My life might have taken a different trajectory.  Probably not really.  Anyway great work. 
Steve Winkler
Finale 2011
Windows 7 64-bit
Garritan GPO4, JABB
VSL SE/SE+ Standard
Reaper (sometimes)

saltamontes

Re: Hybrid Chords
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2016, 01:56:56 AM »
Thanks very much, Steve.  I promise it will only get better as there are numerous really interesting and useful aspects of jazz theory, harmony, and composition to cover.  In time, hopefully we will accrue enough interest/members to have in-depth discussions of various aspects.  I think you will find the Advanced Reharmonization techniques (Starting about three more weeks) to be exceptionally interesting and useful, such things as parallelism, constant structure, pedal point, reharmonizing with hybrid chords......  In the future, there will be detailed studies in Whole-Tone Scale Harmony, Diminished Scale Harmony, Melodic Minor Scale Harmony, Jazz Composition Studies, etc.  Anyway, thanks for your kind support for this project. 

The other Ron....
Hold gently the hearts of those you love. For once they are gone, you will shed a thousand tears for each one you caused and the memory of each callous moment will be your companion.   Saltamontes