Author Topic: Parallel Octaves: Finale bug, or "Brain bug"?  (Read 712 times)

tbmartin

• TerenceMartinSaxArranger
Parallel Octaves: Finale bug, or "Brain bug"?
« on: August 08, 2016, 05:26:54 AM »
The attached pdf has two measures, 4 parts, one whole note in each part. Finale says I have parallel octaves, but I can't for the life of me figure out where. The chart at the bottom of the page is my analysis of what's going on. Being a math nerd, I've done every possible combination of parts. The first column compares the Soprano part to the other three. The second column compares the Alto to the Tenor and Bass, and the final column compares Tenor to Bass. Each box has the notes from the two voices and the resulting intervals. Nowhere in my chart does a box have two octaves or unisons.

Is this a bug with Finale 2003a? (I know: I might as well be carving on stone tablets...) If so, then I'll just not use this utility and trust my own eyes and ears.

But, if it's an error in my understanding, then I want to learn what that is.

Thanks!
(And Michel, if this is in the wrong sub-forum, please feel free to move it!)
Terence Martin

Tools: Finale 2003 on Windows XP
Day job: Actuary
Composing/Arranging output: mostly sax quartets
http://bit.ly/TerenceMartinSaxArranger
Goal: Improve quantity and quality of concert band compositions.
Play: Saxophones (all, but tenor primary), Bass Clarinet, Piano (poorly)

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
  • B.FA (composition) M.Mus (composition)
    • Les Éditions du Dos Blanc
Re: Parallel Octaves: Finale bug, or "Brain bug"?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2016, 05:45:25 AM »
the parallel octave plug-in only works when you use it on two contiguous staves, with a maximum of two voices total.
it cannot tell the difference between an octave in two voices followed by an octave in two other voices... which is what happens in your example.

your example is perfectly fine.

as the plug-in in here says, it sees an octave between tenor and bass in measure 1, then an octave between soprano and tenor in measure 2... which is not "parallel octaves".
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 05:47:04 AM by Michel.R.E »
"Writing music to be revolutionary is like cooking to be famous: Music’s main function is not revolution. – Alan Belkin "

"Saying something new about something old is still saying something new. – Jamie Kowalski"

tbmartin

• TerenceMartinSaxArranger
Re: Parallel Octaves: Finale bug, or "Brain bug"?
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2016, 08:12:53 AM »
I even read the manual (*Gasp!*) and it didn't say anything about it needing to be on contiguous staves. Knowing that constraint, I'll know how to use the plugin more effectively.

Good news is that at least my understanding of parallel octaves (and 5ths) was correct.

Thanks!
Terence Martin

Tools: Finale 2003 on Windows XP
Day job: Actuary
Composing/Arranging output: mostly sax quartets
http://bit.ly/TerenceMartinSaxArranger
Goal: Improve quantity and quality of concert band compositions.
Play: Saxophones (all, but tenor primary), Bass Clarinet, Piano (poorly)