Author Topic: String Position Question  (Read 53 times)

RJB54

String Position Question
« on: January 12, 2018, 07:31:59 PM »
My notations books are in a box somewhere after moving so I can't look this up.

When you are writing a double-stop which requires the player to be in other than first position to play it, is it necessary to explicitly indicate the position or just let the player figure it out for themselves?

If you do need to explicitly notation it, what is the notation? I haven't notated that in a long time, don't remember the notation, and, as I said, my books are packed away somewhere and not immediately available.

Thanks in advance for any help on this.
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is THE BEST.
Frank Zappa

flint

• Crazed weasels in a man costume
Re: String Position Question
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2018, 07:50:19 PM »
I would only specify a position if I were writing educational music, and even then I doubt I would bother.
"Music is like wine; the less you know about it, the sweeter you like it." - Robertson Davies

Ron

• Administrator
  • Finale Beta Tester
    • The Music of Ronald J Brown
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2018, 04:56:58 AM »
Always let the player decide what string and position to use. The only exception would be if you wanted a passage to be on a specific string because of the sonority of that string, usually the G string, or if you specifically wanted an open string. Players will always chose to stop a string rather than use an open one--except beginners.
Ron
Administrator Compose Forums

Rules are for people who have no understanding of music, so they invent something to mask their ignorance.

RJB54

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2018, 05:25:18 PM »
OK, thanks all for the info.
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is THE BEST.
Frank Zappa