Author Topic: Some bragging  (Read 160 times)

Ron

• Administrator
  • Finale Beta Tester
    • The Music of Ronald J Brown
Some bragging
« on: January 09, 2018, 07:58:15 AM »
I can't post this on FaceBook, but wanted to share it, so you are the lucky ones. My wife is a freelance editor, specializing in medical research papers. She has been doing this for 20 years after nearly as long as a technical writer. She is really, really good at what she does. Her main client the past few years is the publisher of medical journals based in Toronto. The main journal she edits, "Current Oncology" has experienced a steady rise in ratings over the past few years for reliability and sound science. If you are familiar with scientific journals, you will know about errata--corrections in a subsequent issue. Most journals publish several regularly. There has only been one erratum in the 10+ years Ann has edited this journal. That's the thoroughness and detail she puts into her work.

The head editor has been overwhelmed the past few years--juggling several journals at once. She has not been very good about getting articles to Ann in a timely manner, frequently giving her last minute rush jobs. There are times when Ann has been overwhelmed with the conflicting demands placed on her and has fallen behind. So, head editor gets a bee in her bonnet and gives the current issue to another editor on the grounds that Ann is too slow. Ann just got off the phone with the layout artist who told her that she had received the replacement editor's work--and it is a disaster, completely unpublishable. I gave Ann two thumbs up when she told me this. It is so delightful to be able to say with conviction, "Told you so!" (I need a sniggering icon here.)

BTW, I should get some credit, as I verify and correct the citations in the papers.  :P
Ron
Administrator Compose Forums

Rules are for people who have no understanding of music, so they invent something to mask their ignorance.

RJB54

Re: Some bragging
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2018, 01:30:08 PM »
Well congratulations to your wife. I have been in that situation many times in my IT career and it is always satisfying to be in the position to say 'I told you so' (whether you actually say it or not).
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is THE BEST.
Frank Zappa

Ron

• Administrator
  • Finale Beta Tester
    • The Music of Ronald J Brown
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2018, 01:39:09 PM »
Further, apparently the layout artist works for another company under contract. They have informed the people at the journal that they are going to raise their rates if they are going to continue sending them a mess like they just got. Apparently the layout artist sent the entire issue back to the replacement editor saying it cannot be worked on until she has fixed the myriads of errors throughout the document.
Ron
Administrator Compose Forums

Rules are for people who have no understanding of music, so they invent something to mask their ignorance.

tbmartin

• TerenceMartinSaxArranger
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2018, 02:09:43 PM »
It's always perversely fun to watch when people finally realize what a treasure they had once it's gone. In this case, Ann's not truly gone, but they have a new appreciation....
Terence Martin

Tools: Finale 2003 on Windows XP
Day job: Actuary
Composing/Arranging output: mostly sax quartets
http://bit.ly/TerenceMartinSaxArranger
Goal: Improve quantity and quality of concert band compositions.
Play: Saxophones (all, but tenor primary), Bass Clarinet, Piano (poorly)

Patrick O'Keefe

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2018, 07:31:04 PM »
Being able to say "Told you so!" is great.  Having to pick up and fix the bits and pieces of the disaster might not be so fun.  I hope this all gets resolved without extra work for your wife.