Author Topic: We Gather with Fidelity - Trio Oboe, Clarinet, Bassoon  (Read 120 times)

mjf1947

We Gather with Fidelity - Trio Oboe, Clarinet, Bassoon
« on: January 06, 2018, 07:07:17 AM »
Hi,

This is another piece I am re-working ... originally for oboe, horn, and cello.

I made changes/tweaks/additions/ and deletions!

The mid section will hopefully developed more ....

No name as yet .... but in my mind's eye it's a pastoral setting.

All comments ... suggestions appreciated.

Mark
« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 05:15:59 PM by mjf1947 »

RJB54

Re: Trio Oboe, Clarinet, Bassoon ...
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2018, 07:39:35 AM »
A pleasant piece. The A section is nicely bucolic.

One thing is that while both parts work well independently, I don't think that the two parts go together all that well, at least on a first listen. The feel of the B section is a little too different from the A section for me. It feels like two different pieces. Of course, if that was what you were going for it works  :).
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is THE BEST.
Frank Zappa

mjf1947

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2018, 08:54:45 AM »
A pleasant piece. The A section is nicely bucolic.

One thing is that while both parts work well independently, I don't think that the two parts go together all that well, at least on a first listen. The feel of the B section is a little too different from the A section for me. It feels like two different pieces. Of course, if that was what you were going for it works  :).

Thanks for the review.

By the way what is your first name?   

My conception is this: farmers are in the field working harvesting the crops ... then a mid-day break in which people would gather around for a meal/sharing and comradeship.  So that is why the mid section is so different ... it is a counter point to the work and a transition to one of reflection.  I need to really develop the mid "hymn" more so - to let it sing and hopefully soar.  Big task!

Mark

RJB54

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2018, 09:03:25 AM »
OK.

Maybe there needs to be a bit of a transition between the sections, a ramping down to the slower middle followed by a gearing up to the A1 section. Not a big passage, just a little something to more clearly relate the sections rather than the somewhat abrupt jumps.

By the way, my first name is Robert (or Bob).

Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is THE BEST.
Frank Zappa

mjf1947

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2018, 10:16:41 AM »
OK.

Maybe there needs to be a bit of a transition between the sections, a ramping down to the slower middle followed by a gearing up to the A1 section. Not a big passage, just a little something to more clearly relate the sections rather than the somewhat abrupt jumps.

By the way, my first name is Robert (or Bob).

Thanks Bob,

I'll attempt to create a good transition .....

mjf1947

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2018, 02:49:17 PM »
Okay Bob and those interested.

I just added a ritardando to the first section .... I did develop the mid-section more .... I wanted as I stated more a "hymn" quality.

The work now has a title "We Gather with Fidelity".

As those who know my posts ... I write always with a visual picture in my mind.  Movie Music???  :-X

The A section - the farmers in the field "gathering" and the B section a quiet satisfaction on a job well done with friends and neighbors ... the last a joyous recap/continuation of the ending work.

Mark
« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 05:16:17 PM by mjf1947 »

Patrick O'Keefe

Re: We Gather in Fidelity - Trio Oboe, Clarinet, Bassoon
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2018, 05:16:53 PM »
Nice sounding work. 

The transition between sections is no more abrupt than many scherzo / trio pieces, but I still feel like it needs something - something more than the ritardando.  But that is just my own personal taste.

mjf1947

Re: We Gather with Fidelity - Trio Oboe, Clarinet, Bassoon
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2018, 08:03:06 AM »
Okay ... I made some changes to the bassoon line which I believe makes a better transition to the B section.  I also changed one clarinet note!  :o

Not a big change ... but I think it smooth things out a bit.

So for those still interested here's another tweak .... I think though this is it for now.  Maybe I'll look again in a few months or so with fresh eyes.

A funny note here ... the original title was We Gather in Fidelity .... my son-in-law caught the problem if you guys didn't   ...infidelity!! :P

So I changed the title to We Gather with Fidelity. 

Mark
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 11:11:40 AM by mjf1947 »

gogreen

• Art on Facebook
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2018, 02:19:24 PM »
I agree with Bob--pleasant piece. I wonder if there are some good high school players who could benefit from rehearsing and performing this piece. I think there are many valuable lessons here at an intermediate musicianship level that could be taught.  I might go for a little wetter sound on the playback. And what's with the hairpins in measure 36? Anyway, Mark, nice piece!

mjf1947

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2018, 02:49:38 PM »
Art,

Wetter sound?  Please explain ..... more reverb?  nuance in the playback ....?

Thanks for the review.

Mark

Jerry Engelbach

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2018, 09:52:04 AM »
Mark,

No one can accuse you of not being prolific!

It's delightful. The broken rhythm of the oboe melody against the triplet feel of the comp is very effective. It pulls you right into the piece.

The mid section does, I think, need tweaking. I'm losing the oboe line when it coincides with and even crosses the clarinet. It looks good on the page but I don't hear it.

Cheers,
Jer
Finale 25
GPO 5
iMac El Capitan

gogreen

• Art on Facebook
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2018, 06:42:00 PM »
Wetter sound?  Please explain ..... more reverb?  nuance in the playback ....?

Yeah--reverb.

mjf1947

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2018, 06:15:34 AM »
Mark,

No one can accuse you of not being prolific!

It's delightful. The broken rhythm of the oboe melody against the triplet feel of the comp is very effective. It pulls you right into the piece.

The mid section does, I think, need tweaking. I'm losing the oboe line when it coincides with and even crosses the clarinet. It looks good on the page but I don't hear it.

Cheers,
Jer

Okay .... I will still work on the mid-section .... might want to stay away a bit  and return with a fresh look.

That for the review and encouragement.  The B section is quite challenging to get the melodic flow and resulting "spiritual theme" I desire.

Mark

whitebark

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2018, 06:10:43 PM »
I enjoyed listening to your little trio work, Mark.  It does have a pastoral flavor. I noticed that there is not much in the way of dynamic variation, at least in your synthesized version. Adding some well-defined forte and piano sections could invigorate the music.

-Jay