Author Topic: January, 2018: What are your plans for the year?  (Read 195 times)

Ron

• Administrator
  • Finale Beta Tester
    • The Music of Ronald J Brown
January, 2018: What are your plans for the year?
« on: January 01, 2018, 04:15:04 AM »
Here is it, a new year, a time when people make resolutions and plans for the coming year. Mine is to actually finsih a body of work. I think I completed only one short work in all of 2017. What are your plans?
Ron
Administrator Compose Forums

Rules are for people who have no understanding of music, so they invent something to mask their ignorance.

mjf1947

Re: January, 2018: What are your plans for the year?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2018, 09:29:11 AM »
Ron, I strive to become the best Oboist I can be ...... I am a "hobbyist" in a sense; picking up the Oboe again when I was 40 years old.  I play principal in 2 orchestras and I have great responsibilities.  It seems as I continue to improve ... I constantly play up to my next level of incompetence.  It is a never ending ladder of improvement, success, and frustration.  You never stop learning and honing your skills.  In my capacity of being on the board of 2 orchestras and personnel manager of one .... I continue to recruit good talent .... which nudges me to keep up with the best players in the orchestra.  So I'm on my 4th teacher .... who is really very good ..... and I continue to pursue the very difficult task of "taming" the Oboe (and those damn Oboe reeds)!

Happy New Year to all .... and may all your pursuits come to a successful resolution(s).

flint

• Crazed weasels in a man costume
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2018, 10:20:17 AM »
Last year was stressful, with reworking an older unfinished work into a new work. That work is going to be debuted on January 28! It's me, but it's a young(-er) me... a lot more conventional than I would consider my current style and harmonic language.

This year I want to finish and premiere my quartet for english horns, preferably in March/April (have to get my butt working on that to meet that goal...).
This year I've been commissioned (commissioned is too strong a word... asked, with a promise of a token payment is more correct) to write a short show-off piece for woodwinds for a marching band. I need to have this done by mid-year.
This year I want to work on completing at least the last movement of my long-languishing work for strings, and then have a simplified version of it performed at the orchestra's winter concert in early December.

Other than the above... I have some ideas percolating that aren't ready for development. Long game is several thematically related suites for orchestra that I've been thinking about for a few years but have not seriously developed.

Performance-wise, I want to improve my oboe and english horn technique, and that might mean splurging on a teacher at some point. Though I think I need a new oboe before I do that; I'm spending too much time fighting my old college oboe, and even though it's been recently overhauled I can still feel its quirks and limitations and they are frustrating.

Doing a show gig in February/March playing Clarinet, Tenor Saxophone, Oboe, and English Horn; that should be a lot of fun, but it will cut into composing time. January and early February need to be productive if I'm going to meet my writing goals.
"Music is like wine; the less you know about it, the sweeter you like it." - Robertson Davies

tbmartin

• TerenceMartinSaxArranger
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2018, 06:55:41 AM »
Goals for 2018:  Finish "Halftime Reflections" and at least one movement of "Zacapa Suite."  Both are pieces for concert band. ("Are" seems like such as strong word for works that are still in the sketch phase...)  Any sax quartet/quintet work is gravy.

Given my "5 to 9 composer" status, and my lack of experience in working on pieces with more than 5 voices, all from the same instrument family, that will be a challenge. 
Terence Martin

Tools: Finale 2003 on Windows XP
Day job: Actuary
Composing/Arranging output: mostly sax quartets
http://bit.ly/TerenceMartinSaxArranger
Goal: Improve quantity and quality of concert band compositions.
Play: Saxophones (all, but tenor primary), Bass Clarinet, Piano (poorly)