Author Topic: Rondo Capriccioso - 4th movement of my Classical Symphony  (Read 375 times)

whitebark

Rondo Capriccioso - 4th movement of my Classical Symphony
« on: June 13, 2018, 03:27:21 PM »
This 4th and final movement of my Classical Symphony provides a lively finish to this generally light-hearted work. I wasn't trying to write a new Mozart symphony- this piece is more of a homage to Hadyn's work, much like Prokofiev's Classical Symphony. Version 14 is considerably reworked compared to older versions.

sound:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/dcxuxk1mptxpv62/Classical%20Symph%20mvt4%20v15-2.mp3?dl=0

PDF:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ovdtyii7yt6n07w/Classical%20Symph%20mvt4%20v14.pdf?dl=0

Sound was rendered with the brand-new NotePerformer 3 combined with Sibelius. Note that NotePerformer 3 is now available in beta form for Finale and Dorico.

Jay
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 10:37:00 PM by whitebark »

AO

Re: Rondo Capriccioso - 4th movement of my Classical Symphony
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2018, 06:14:38 AM »
Very nice Jay, . Not sure why you have this in this category though, it seems pretty complete to me and maybe you should think of graduating soon as well. Although this is not my personal favorite style of music, I appreciate your skill and wish you luck with it. I’ve added this to my “favorite forum downloads” playlist. I’ll have to get the rest of this symphony soon.

I’ll have to check out noteperformer also,  your playback sounds great, thanks for the heads up.

mjf1947

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2018, 09:14:36 AM »
You know Jay ...

It reminds me a bit Eric Wolfgang Korngold!  :)

Nicely done......playfully adorable.

Mark

sandalwood

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2018, 10:31:00 AM »
Very good job, Jay! Well-finished, solid work, in my opinion.

Reha

whitebark

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2018, 06:00:12 PM »
Very nice Jay, . Not sure why you have this in this category though, it seems pretty complete to me and maybe you should think of graduating soon as well. Although this is not my personal favorite style of music, I appreciate your skill and wish you luck with it. I’ve added this to my “favorite forum downloads” playlist. I’ll have to get the rest of this symphony soon.

Thanks for listening!   Yes, I think the piece is now pretty complete in terms of length, although I might add a measure here and there. I need to fix playability issues, such as that part for the clarinets that go up and down all over "the break" and screamingly high flute parts. And the score's appearance is still a bit messy (thanks, Musescore).

I haven't reworked the second and third movements yet (but soon I hope).

-Jay

whitebark

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2018, 06:24:30 PM »
Mark and Reha,
Thanks for the positive comments!

Jay

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
  • B.FA (composition) M.Mus (composition)
    • Les Éditions du Dos Blanc
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2018, 09:46:45 AM »
Jay,
overall very satisfying. I found it interesting that nearer the end of the movement there were echoes of "battle on the ice" from "Alexander Nevski", either serendiptious or subconscious, it does show that there's something a bit more "modern" trying to get out.

This movement really needed a serious fugue in it. We get multiple launching points, and imitative passages, but never really a good fugal exposition.

I liked the 2nd thematic material (around measures 39-50) better than the opening material.

starting at measure 73 you divisi the 2nd violins but tacet the violas. I think that's an error. split that part up between violin2 and violas, and later, the part where you have that viola entrance on repeated notes, give that repeated note (as a sustain, perhaps) to brass or woodwinds, and keep the 2nd violin part divided between violins and violas.
Be careful about leaving out one section of the string section for no real purpose.
"Writing music to be revolutionary is like cooking to be famous: Music’s main function is not revolution. – Alan Belkin "

"Saying something new about something old is still saying something new. – Jamie Kowalski"

whitebark

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2018, 06:57:27 PM »
Michel, thanks for taking a look at my Rondo.  I should add a serious fugue?  A well-developed fugue would be a great addition and can be tremendously exciting, but of course quite the challenge to compose. Perhaps after a couple years of counterpoint lessons :) My orchestra just performed the fugue from Bloch's Concerto Grosso #1 - what an intimidating showcase of counterpoint mastery that was.

Good point about the viola part. I hate to abandon the poor violas for no reason - they get ignored too much as it is.

Jay

Jerry Engelbach

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2018, 04:37:23 AM »
Jay,

Remarkable. It's a wonderful piece, beautifully orchestrated. I was drawn in and blown away by the ingeniously interwoven lines and contrasting timbres. Overall, an exciting ride.

At the end I was waiting for a build, a summing up of what I'd heard before with a rousing climax. It felt as if it stopped a bit abruptly.

You get a great sound out of your setup, with all the instruments perfectly clear.

Cheers,
Jer
Finale 25
GPO 5
iMac El Capitan

whitebark

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2018, 10:18:12 PM »
Jer, thanks for the enthusiastic review :)

-Jay

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2018, 04:36:50 PM »
Michel, thanks for taking a look at my Rondo.  I should add a serious fugue?  A well-developed fugue would be a great addition and can be tremendously exciting, but of course quite the challenge to compose. Perhaps after a couple years of counterpoint lessons :)
Jay

a fugue is, surprisingly, both extremely difficult and extremely simple.
it's basically a series of "expositions" (the subject is launched in multiple voices in succession), followed by a short modulatory passage called an "episode" (which in strict fugue contains one less voice than the actual fugue), then another exposition (in a new key, generally with the order of entry of the voices changed), yet another episode, another exposition, an episode, and then a closing section which is often a pedal point.

In this case, you don't have to create a full-fledged fugue with all of its component sections, but maybe 2-3 expositions with modulatory episodes between them.

In a symphonic medium, a nice effect is to have the fugue launch, but have, for example, the basses play a pizzicato accompaniment below the subject, or have other sections of the orchestra gradually break down previous accompaniment material as the fuga grows.

You have some excellent material in this movement that is VERY apt to fugal treatment, so you already have a head start.
"Writing music to be revolutionary is like cooking to be famous: Music’s main function is not revolution. – Alan Belkin "

"Saying something new about something old is still saying something new. – Jamie Kowalski"

whitebark

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2018, 04:04:11 PM »
Thanks for the info, Michel. I'm thinking I would like to expand the movement a bit more, and adding a fugal section would be a good way to do that. In the meantime, I'm working on the third movement.

Jay

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2018, 02:11:40 PM »
Jay, since you are now looking for your next project, may I challenge you to something?

Write a short piece, in standard classical form, tonal, as you like, but... explore a bit, go further, include some harsher dissonances here and there, maybe some polytonal passages.

Think "Prokoviev" classical symphony.

Write for a small orchestra: woodwinds by two, two trumpets, two horns, timpani, (opt. percussion), and a string section without any divisi.

whitebark

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2018, 09:21:46 PM »
Michel, I haven't been inspired to do anything new for awhile, so all I can seem to do is rework old stuff like this Classical Symphony. But that can be a learning experience, too - I seem to gain some more insight into orchestration issues when revisiting old pieces. And in the back of my mind, I keep thinking that if I create a presentable score, maybe one of the many local orchestras will take on the Classical Symphony.  Athough that is unlikely, as even the amateur groups have their pick of many fine composers who want performances of their works.

Certainly, my next composition certainly won't be so conservative. The neo-classic repertoire offers many examples of more advanced writing. Prokofiev's symphony for sure, also Stravinsky's symphonies.  Having played so many of them over the years, I have a certain fondness for minuets. A poly-tonal minuet? why not?

Jay

RJB54

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2018, 05:54:52 PM »
All in all a good piece.

I do think it would work quite effectively if the harmony was 'updated' somewhat to be a bit more contemporary. I think that this material would work very well as something in the vein of Prokofiev's Classical Symphony. Basically 'classic' in style and approach but with a more contemporary harmonic, melodic, or rhythmic touch here and there.
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is THE BEST.
Frank Zappa