Author Topic: String Quartet premiere  (Read 341 times)

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
  • B.FA (composition) M.Mus (composition)
    • Les Éditions du Dos Blanc
String Quartet premiere
« on: May 22, 2018, 04:27:34 PM »
This will be the last piece I post for a while. I have health issues that are taking up all of my energy and attention, and the prospect of a sudden death during a routine procedure isn't conducive to much creative thinking.

This week-end was the premiere of my string quartet "Les Oiseaux imaginaires" (The Imaginary Birds).
It was for a string quartet concert that had as its theme "birds and migration".
It was presented by a fairly famous author and newscaster here in the French media. (you can hear his voice at the end of the piece where he calls me to stand up)

http://www.dosblanc.ca/music/Les_Oiseaux_imaginaires.mp3

there's a poem that accompanies the music, but it's not included in this edition of the score.
If anyone is interested I'll just post it in this thread.
"Writing music to be revolutionary is like cooking to be famous: Music’s main function is not revolution. – Alan Belkin "

"Saying something new about something old is still saying something new. – Jamie Kowalski"

mjf1947

• Administrator
Re: String Quartet premiere
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2018, 04:56:41 PM »
Excruciatingly beautiful .................. Wonderful tension and release ....... you stretch out the musical line to its n-th degree.  Plenty of wit and fun also~!  With a touch of longing...................

Sorry to hear about your medical concerns.  Hope all is well.

Respectfully,

Mark

luke

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2018, 05:22:22 PM »
I wonder if you are familiar with Yoshimatsu, as he writes string pieces inspired by birds and many of the colors and nuances from your composition remind me of him.
A fairly simple but exhilarating lament by Yoshimatsu, called "And Birds Are Still..." https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tyB7s8TrqE

Agreeing with the previous commenter's "Excruciatingly beautiful."
I especially like the witty and nostalgic section starting at 4:50, and the imagery throughout the piece adds so much brilliance.

Thank you for posting this piece.

With empathy,
Luke
"The only love affair I have ever had was with music." -Maurice Ravel

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2018, 05:35:16 PM »
thank-you Mark and Luke.

Luke, I'm afraid I don't know this composer you mention.

because of the imagery, I think I should at least describe the sections and what they represent, it might help understand some of the humour, and some of the emotion.

1) Night, mist floats across the ground, a single lone bird sings into the night, awaiting an answer....

2) Dawn, the sky shivers in anticipation, the sun starts to breach the horizon, it sends out beams of light, like feathers, that pierce the clouds in unbearable brightness.

3) The Early Bird, hops from twig to twig, branch to branch, seeking its breakfast, and singing to the sky as the world wakens, and the air is filled with answering songs.

4) The Rapid Birds, moving of one mind, clouds of feathers create an aerial ballet.

5) The White Bird (inspired by a photograph taken by the cellist of the commissioning quartet, ergo the lengthy cello solo... it's an image of a Snowy owl, alone on a tree stump), alone the white bird sits, mirror image of its face in the tree stump, wisely it looks about, and spreads its white wings, gathering up the last of winter's remains in its feathers and disappears into the sky.

6) Dusk, a lone bird sings into the night, no answer, it disappears into the night, mist floats across the ground...
« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 05:38:17 PM by Michel.R.E »
"Writing music to be revolutionary is like cooking to be famous: Music’s main function is not revolution. – Alan Belkin "

"Saying something new about something old is still saying something new. – Jamie Kowalski"

sandalwood

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2018, 08:22:43 PM »
Sorry to hear about your health issues and hope you soon resume perfect health and peace of mind.

The concert sounds  just beautiful. Congratulations! I reckon this piece will have a very successful career :)

Reha

Jerry Engelbach

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2018, 07:30:10 AM »
Extraordinary music, world-class as always.

Fine sounding performance.

Congratulations.

Cheers,
Jer
Finale 25
GPO 5
iMac El Capitan

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2018, 10:41:11 AM »
thank-you Jer.

whitebark

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2018, 08:25:43 PM »
Bravo!  A fine performance of your lush, romantic score. I enjoyed every minute of it.

-Jay

RJB54

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2018, 02:12:22 PM »
Excellent performance of an excellent work.
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is THE BEST.
Frank Zappa