Author Topic: Form, fluidity, and tempo: creating a sense of "improvisation"  (Read 2238 times)

sandalwood

Re: Form, fluidity, and tempo: creating a sense of "improvisation"
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2017, 05:49:23 PM »
Thanks Michel and Robert! Once convinced of the correct path, I've already made much headway into salvaging the piece without changes in meter at all and with minimum of sacrifice in nuances of tempo: more generous use of long and short fermate; well-placed rit.s and accel.s instead of discrete, terraced changes where possible; stop being over-scrupulous over barely perceived nuances... :)

tbmartin

• TerenceMartinSaxArranger
Re: Form, fluidity, and tempo: creating a sense of "improvisation"
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2017, 08:24:53 AM »
I've toyed with taking a certain 4-part vocal piece and arranging for concert band. Having sung the piece under the direction of the composer, I know that the written rhythm and tempo are only an approximation of the composer's intent. If I actually turn this project into a reality, I'll have to alter the written rhythm so that, if played strictly as written (that is, when Finale plays it back), it's kinda-sorta close, and that will have to do. If I try to micro-manage it, the written page will be essentially unplayable.
Terence Martin

Tools: Finale 2003 on Windows XP
Day job: Actuary
Composing/Arranging output: mostly sax quartets
http://bit.ly/TerenceMartinSaxArranger
Goal: Improve quantity and quality of concert band compositions.
Play: Saxophones (all, but tenor primary), Bass Clarinet, Piano (poorly)