Author Topic: Pretzel for piano  (Read 70 times)

Jamie Kowalski

• All Hands Music
Pretzel for piano
« on: December 06, 2017, 04:08:08 PM »
Hi all,

Just coming out of my long bout with depression and writer's block. This is a little piece to ease my way back into more "serious" things. It's also my first outing with the Garritan Yamaha CFX piano library.

Pretzel score | mp3

Comments and questions welcome.

Jamie

Ron

• Administrator
  • Finale Beta Tester
    • The Music of Ronald J Brown
Re: Pretzel for piano
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2017, 04:34:38 PM »
Thanks for sharing this Jamie. Good to see/hear you writing again. Odd, but I am working on something where there are mixed duples and triplets as well.
Ron
Administrator Compose Forums

Rules are for people who have no understanding of music, so they invent something to mask their ignorance.

RJB54

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2017, 05:51:05 PM »
Interesting piece. I enjoyed it.
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is THE BEST.
Frank Zappa

Jamie Kowalski

• All Hands Music
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2017, 06:11:28 PM »
Thank you both for the kind words.

Ron, Iíve always had a fascination with 2vs3, and I explore it in so many of my works. This is probably the first time Iíve given a lot of play to 3vs4.

sandalwood

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2017, 06:08:04 AM »
Yes, very interesting! Definitely high in signal to noise :). I enjoyed this, too.

...and nice to hear from you again Kowalski.

Jamie Kowalski

• All Hands Music
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2017, 06:38:04 AM »
Thank you, Sandalwood

Definitely high in signal to noise :).
Do you mean the recording, or is this somehow a reference to the music? I'm quite happy with the library, and I haven't even tried half of the settings or presets yet!

sandalwood

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2017, 06:46:30 AM »
Sorry for being obscure. I meant you say much with not too many notes :)

Jamie Kowalski

• All Hands Music
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2017, 06:49:40 AM »
Sorry for being obscure. I meant you say much with not too many notes :)

Ah! Thanks, I like that meaning much better! :)

Jerry Engelbach

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2017, 09:46:51 AM »
Great fun. I enjoyed the playfulness of your mixed rhythms.

As in much of the music I've heard on your web site, it uses surprise effectively.

Cheers,
Jer
Finale 25
GPO 5
iMac El Capitan

whitebark

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2017, 10:28:04 AM »
Delightful! 

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
  • B.FA (composition) M.Mus (composition)
    • Les …ditions du Dos Blanc
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2017, 02:07:01 PM »
a lovely piece from you, as always. I always enjoy hearing where you take your material and how you handle your usually pointillist material... and was very surprised to see far less of that approach in this piece.

The transitions from eighths to triples to 16ths are fascinating and a very interesting way of creating the illusion of rit/accel.

I particularly liked the tiny bit of quartal harmony that popped up near the end (being a huge fan of quartal harmony, I would have actually liked a bit more of it elsewhere, but that's just my personal taste).

However, there's one thing that did jump out at me... measure 65, those parallel octaves... *shivers*
They grated on my ear like the wrongest of wrong notes.

Measures 14-16 are a bit cluttered (notation), but I simply can't find another solution than the relatively standard one you used. But that's nothing major.

Any plans on turning this into a suite of piano pieces? a "book 1" of piano preludes by Kowalski?
"Writing music to be revolutionary is like cooking to be famous: Musicís main function is not revolution. Ė Alan Belkin "

"Saying something new about something old is still saying something new. Ė Jamie Kowalski"

Jamie Kowalski

• All Hands Music
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2017, 05:22:55 PM »
Thank you Whitebark and Michel.

a lovely piece from you, as always. I always enjoy hearing where you take your material and how you handle your usually pointillist material... and was very surprised to see far less of that approach in this piece.
I think that may be one of the main differences between my orchestral and most of my piano pieces. I have no explanation... just the way it goes. :)

However, there's one thing that did jump out at me... measure 65, those parallel octaves... *shivers*
They grated on my ear like the wrongest of wrong notes.
Do you mean the A to D jump? It's interesting that you hear it that way. The passage is really two voices, and the bottom drops to F# (probably not prominent enough in the recording in any case). The lower of the two Ds is just a voice doubling of the upper line. I guess I'll listen to it a few more times to try to hear it as wrong.

Measures 14-16 are a bit cluttered (notation), but I simply can't find another solution than the relatively standard one you used.
Yes, very difficult engraving there and at measures 19-23. I posted that passage asking for input from the music engraving group on FB, and sadly that was the cleanest approach several minds could manage.

Any plans on turning this into a suite of piano pieces? a "book 1" of piano preludes by Kowalski?
I see this as a companion piece to "Eddies," which I posted here some time ago. Originally, there was going to be a suite called "Waterforms," but I'm going to have to change the name, as the other water themed pieces I was working on didn't pan out. I could definitely add to these two pieces to get a whole new suite... keeping an open mind to that, but I'll be turning most of my attention towards the opera for now.

Thanks again.