Author Topic: Birthday Present  (Read 62 times)

Ron

• Administrator
  • Finale Beta Tester
    • The Music of Ronald J Brown
Birthday Present
« on: December 06, 2017, 09:36:04 AM »
So, for my birthday today, my wife bought two tickets for the Met's performance of Adèl's "The Exterminating Angel" to be broadcast to a local Ottawa theatre on Saturday. I don't know anything about this opera except that it is based on Buñuel's movie of the same name. My wife said there is an E above high C in the vocal part. I can't imagine it--and she is basically musically illiterate and may have misunderstood something. Does anyone know anything about this?

BTW, she's been buying me tickets to Met simulcast productions the past few years and I told her I was tired of 19th century works and wanted to see something more modern--and this was what she found. The music might be great in old operas, but the plots are absurd and characters incredibly stupid.
Ron
Administrator Compose Forums

Rules are for people who have no understanding of music, so they invent something to mask their ignorance.

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
  • B.FA (composition) M.Mus (composition)
    • Les Éditions du Dos Blanc
Re: Birthday Present
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2017, 09:51:51 AM »
I've heard rather mixed reviews of Thomas Adès' operas.
Exterminating Angel is one of those.

Yes, there are some pretty high notes here and there in his operas (although the E wouldn't be that bad for a coloratura, there's a D above the staff in Ravel's "L'Enfant et les sortilèges", and there appear to be a number of "standard" high F's throughout the opera repertoire dating back to Händel and earlier).

The music seems like a modern take on tonality. What little I've heard was interesting, but I haven't seen (nor heard) an entire opera. I think most of the criticism has been aimed at the conception/design of his operas rather than at the music (though there do appear to be some modernist purists who have attacked him as well).
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 10:02:25 AM by Michel.R.E »
"Writing music to be revolutionary is like cooking to be famous: Music’s main function is not revolution. – Alan Belkin "

"Saying something new about something old is still saying something new. – Jamie Kowalski"

Ron

• Administrator
  • Finale Beta Tester
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2017, 02:32:13 PM »

I really enjoyed it. The music was fairly tame, by my standards, with some pretty odd instruments thrown in like a Martenot and some 1/32-sized violins. I was enthralled by the story, but I have always been drawn to the bizarre.

Here's the New York Times' review: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/27/arts/music/exterminating-angel-review-metropolitan-opera.html
Ron

Rules are for people who have no understanding of music, so they invent something to mask their ignorance.

RJB54

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2017, 07:09:24 PM »
I listened to one of the clips in the article and the music didn't sound very progressive (avant-garde) to me, more turn of the 20th Century chromatic.
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is THE BEST.
Frank Zappa

Ron

• Administrator
  • Finale Beta Tester
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2017, 02:20:41 AM »
Ron

sandalwood

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2017, 06:09:57 AM »

...I was enthralled by the story...

May I strongly recommend the Bunuel movie if you have not watched it already?
« Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 06:16:52 AM by sandalwood »