Author Topic: Short piece for Wind Band, work in progress  (Read 155 times)

mjw58

• MJW MUSIC
Short piece for Wind Band, work in progress
« on: October 22, 2017, 02:41:18 PM »

I havenít finished any music in quite a while. This one isnít finished either, but itís something Iíve been working on for some time. I thought I would post it as a work in progress.
It started out with the first 12 bars or so. Then it stopped. I couldnít get any further. Then I suddenly got the last 9 bars written down. Then I ended up writing some variations on the opening theme.

I have cleaned up the score somewhat but thereís probably more errors.
I have found some my self.
The rendition is what it is. I havenít had time fixing it.  :)

I have some new ideas regarding the instrumentation in various places.
I have no title and no idea where this will lead me.

Comments appreciated.  :)

PDF
https://app.box.com/s/tv4nipf6m4jb8619exx5vhvocgpkt3j4

MP3
https://app.box.com/s/ijsayo23qmn53izrunn2kcd3v1brnsbl

Morten

Compositions: Wind band, Brass band and Fanfare
Platform: Windows 10
Notation: Finale 25
DAW: Cubase 7,5
Instrument: Bassoon, Euphonium
Day jobb: Electrician

Ron

• Administrator
  • Finale Beta Tester
    • The Music of Ronald J Brown
Re: Short piece for Wind Band, work in progress
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2017, 09:50:03 AM »
I can't really comment in any meaningful way, as I am not familiar with works for concert band, but I enjoyed it.

BTW, your labels for pdf and mp3 in the main text of your post are reversed.
Ron
Administrator Compose Forums

Rules are for people who have no understanding of music, so they invent something to mask their ignorance.

gogreen

• Art on Facebook
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2017, 06:32:49 AM »
I like it, Morten. Very "playable." A few suggestions:

* I'd probably delete the Eb clarinet part. Some bands may have them--in some countries--but in the U.S., few bands have them, and I see few scores with Eb clarinet staffs.
* I'd change the title of the mallets staff the "Bells" or "Glockenspiel." You don't specify which mallet instrument to use. Also, I'd beef up that part, letting bells double the flute part in appropriate places.
* On the first score page, I'd list the instrument names with their pitches, as you have them. But from page 2 on, it's unnecessary. For instance, I'd list clarinets and bass clarinets just as Cl. and B. Cl. Same for trumpets and horn.
* You might consider some carefully considered cues. For example, in measures 37-38, I might cue the horn staff for tenor saxophone and give the tenor sax notes to clarinets 2-3.
* Considering this work's overall level of difficulty and scoring, you might want to add a string bass part.
* I'd probably not divide the tuba part--too muddy.
* The cymbal crash at measure 51 isn't a clashed cymbal sound. Sounds like a suspended cymbal struck with a mallet. Is that what you intended, or do you want a clashed cymbal sound there? I'd go for crash cymbals (clashed) there.
* In which notation program did you create this score? And what are you using for playback? Very nice.

These are the items that jumped out at me right away. Nice work, Morten!

mjw58

• MJW MUSIC
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2017, 07:05:34 AM »
Thank you, Ron and Art, for your feedback.
Ron, I know youíre not familiar with concert band, but the fact that you liked it is enough for me.  :)

Art, I will look in to all your comments. I very much appreciate them and feel that there is much to learn from them.  :)

Some of the staffs are without music. I donít know if Iím going to use them.
About dividing the tuba part. I was aiming at that kind of close sound in the bottom, but I may have overdone this a bit.  :)

I use Finale 25 for notation and Cubase 8 for making the rendition.
In Cubase, I have some VSTís from East West(Hollywood Brass and Hollywood orchestral woodwinds) and I use some sounds from Garitan. Saxes, Euph drums, perc etc.

I hope to get more VST instruments but thatís what I got right now. Maybe ďComposercloudĒ.

The plan was to notate in Finale, make a MIDI file, import it into Cubase and have a template that could play the music back with a sound that is better than Finale/ Garitan.
I still must work on the Cubase part of the plan a bit more. Not quite happy with the result. But, itís better than Finale/ Garritan.  :)

Morten

Jerry Engelbach

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2017, 08:13:35 AM »
I like it very much.

Everything is engaging: the themes, and the variety in instrumentation, dynamics, and tempo.

Is there a possibility of live performance?

Cheers,
Jer
Finale 25
GPO 5
iMac El Capitan

mjw58

• MJW MUSIC
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2017, 08:56:19 AM »

Thank you Jerry.
I'm glad you liked it.  :)

Is there a possibility of live performance?

One can only hope.  :)

So far Iíve been so lucky that all my music that Iíve sent to publishers outside Norway have been published. Thatís the only way my music will be performed.
It has been some years since the last time I sent something.
I found one of my pieces on YouTube. Not the best performance, but that doesnít really matter to me. The fact that people like my music and will perform it. Priceless.  :)

Morten

whitebark

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2017, 12:05:53 PM »
I enjoyed listening to your band piece, too.  The orchestration is colorful, the themes engaging.  Perhaps you could use it as the first movement of a suite, something like Holst's band suite no. 1. Follow this movement with a slow, contemplative movement, and finish with a lively ending movement.

mjw58

• MJW MUSIC
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2017, 02:06:22 PM »

Thank you Whitebark.

You mention a suite and it has crossed my mind.  :)

Iíve tried to make some of the instrumentation to sound like P A Grainger. Love his way of using different instruments to get the desired sound.

Morten