Author Topic: DAW tutorials  (Read 164 times)

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
  • B.FA (composition) M.Mus (composition)
    • Les Éditions du Dos Blanc
DAW tutorials
« on: October 12, 2017, 05:39:32 PM »
I'd like to start learning how to use Reaper. So the first thing I look up is "tutorials". However, it would seem that tutorials "for beginner users" of Reaper are really "tutorials for people who are switching from another DAW" rather than for actual DAW beginners.

I tried watching a number of these "101" videos, and most of them began straight away with the "insert the flammestrang into the blooflegarm while churning the brlurpl counterclockwise". In other words, absolute gibberish to me.

Does anyone know of tutorials that are specifically geared to people who have NEVER used a DAW, and who are used to working with pencil and paper? it's almost like the DAW makers think that only musically illiterate people will use their products.
"Writing music to be revolutionary is like cooking to be famous: Music’s main function is not revolution. – Alan Belkin "

"Saying something new about something old is still saying something new. – Jamie Kowalski"

sandalwood

Re: DAW tutorials
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2017, 07:41:09 PM »
It has only been two days that it occurred to me asking you "how goes the Reaper expedition?" hoping that you had already cut into it to some depth and the gained expertise would somehow trickle down to us fledglings waiting with wide upon mouths... :)

winknotes

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2017, 06:01:52 PM »
Well I go away for a few months only to find Michael is using a DAW?  ???  The world is upside down :)

All kidding aside I haven't opened Reaper in quite some time, but I'd be glad to help you if I can.  I used to use Sonar and always thought it was a little more intuitive but I like Reaper pretty well.  The price is right that's for sure. 

Steve Winkler
Finale 2011
Windows 7 64-bit
Garritan GPO4, JABB
VSL SE/SE+ Standard
Reaper (sometimes)

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2017, 06:33:18 PM »
oy veh, sorry, about the delay in responding.
for some reason, I never saw that there were replies here.

anyway, I haven't delved into Reaper much (at all, actually), too busy composing and preparing parts and scores in Finale.

I'm HOPING to get the chance in the next couple of weeks since I have a tiny bit more time right now.

I'm still completely lost when I turn it on. too many buttons. too much cryptic information with too many acronyms.
"Writing music to be revolutionary is like cooking to be famous: Music’s main function is not revolution. – Alan Belkin "

"Saying something new about something old is still saying something new. – Jamie Kowalski"

Nickie Fřnshauge

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2017, 05:08:25 AM »
macProVideo does have some Reaper tutorials https://www.macprovideo.com/tutorials/reaper-application.
I don't know how suitable they are for you, though. The guy behind the tutorials claims in the Introduction of Reaper 101 that they are suitable for novices. It did sound as though he meant novices to DAWs in general, but you never know. And since I am not a complete novice to DAWs it is hard for me to judge, if this is basic enough for you. Anyway, some of it - in fact, a whole tutorial (Reaper 102) - is about Audio tracks, which probably won't be very useful to you. But some of 101 and all/most of 103 and 104 look like they might be useful.

Good luck with the project. I know it can be daunting to learn a completely new program, particularly if the type of program is new too. And even though you are pretty good at getting the most out of Finale, mastering a DAW will allow you to take the presentation of your music to a higher level - which it rightly deserves. Particularly if you match it with good instrument libraries, which is another can of worms learning-wise, of course.

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2017, 12:55:33 PM »
Thanks Nickie, I'll have a look at that, definitely.
*fingers crossed*

Jamie Kowalski

• All Hands Music
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2017, 05:52:46 AM »
I hadn't even considered that Reaper doesn't come with a manual. :(

BillReed

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2017, 01:14:16 PM »
It does come with a (downloadable) manual; 466 pages worth...
Finale 25, Notion 6, Overture 5, Cubase8.5
Win10 x64, 32GB RAM, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20
Kontakt, VSL VI, VE Pro, EWQL Orch, Choir and Pianos
August Forster 190