Author Topic: The Internationale - Arrangement  (Read 162 times)

Jerry Engelbach

The Internationale - Arrangement
« on: October 07, 2017, 01:05:50 PM »
Despite being 73 years old, I'm in Junior Works in Progress because I haven't had much experience in orchestrating and will undoubtedly draw suggestions. I have some original compositions, but thought I would just start here with this re-arrangement of an established old piece.

It started as an arrangement for piano in 2001, and later, not knowing any better, I scored it for an eclectic orchestra that has only one each of the woodwinds and brass (except for three French horns), including the oddball bass clarinet.

MP3 File:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/m9w00jfksot0c6l/Internationale_Orch_Garritan.mp3?dl=0

Score:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wnjtaf38q4sl259/Internationale_Orch_Garritan_Perf.pdf?dl=0

Cheers,
Jer
« Last Edit: October 08, 2017, 12:24:33 PM by Jerry Engelbach »
Finale 25
GPO 5
iMac El Capitan

sandalwood

Re: The Internationale - Arrangement
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2017, 07:07:46 AM »
the Score?
 :)

Jerry Engelbach

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2017, 10:11:02 AM »
It was for digital playback. A couple of hours more work to make it presentable.

EDIT: Score added to my first post above.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2017, 11:58:26 AM by Jerry Engelbach »
Finale 25
GPO 5
iMac El Capitan

sandalwood

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2017, 07:33:44 AM »
To get some context, I listened to several versions of the march on utube (meanwhile I came to know that there was a La Marseillaise de la Commune :)) I think yours is a nice/pleasant and successful arrangement/orchestration. I liked the way you coupled themes with contrasting textures. I enjoyed the overall "soft" atmosphere, getting markedly softer when winds take over. These said, it is really the members proficient in band/marching band music that can make a better assessment of the piece.

Thanks for posting.

Reha

Jerry Engelbach

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2017, 01:59:32 PM »
Thanks for your kind words, Reha, and for taking the trouble to compare it with others.

I was trying to get away from the stolid oom-pah-pah sound that I hear in most arrangements of it and introduce more harmonic interest and texture in the moving voices, so I didn't intend it as a march.

I do feel that the orchestration has some crudeness in it that I would like to learn how to correct. The only live performance of my arrangement that I know of was a pared-down and version performed outdoors by a German orchestra, which is on YouTube with pretty poor sound.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1FGFtFTqQU

Cheers,
Jer
Finale 25
GPO 5
iMac El Capitan

sandalwood

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2017, 04:36:04 AM »
Further to your mention of crudeness (which I can not relate to your work but nevertheless appreciate in the sense of one's being critical to his own work) while looking around on the utube, this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0Zj1ZI8YEU

was one of the arrangements I stumbled into which, in contrast, sounded over-worked and bombastic to me.

I don't know if you as an experienced and accomplished musician would find anything to learn there but this site

https://www.youtube.com/user/OrchestrationOnline/videos

is a great resource for us apprentices :)

Jerry Engelbach

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2017, 05:50:58 PM »
Oh, man, I had no idea that such a wealth of helpful videos existed.

I'm sure I'll find useful things among them. It'll be fun just going through it all.

Thanks so much for turning me on to them.

Yes, that arrangement you linked to is embarrassingly overdone.

Cheers,
Jer
Finale 25
GPO 5
iMac El Capitan

RJB54

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2017, 11:36:29 AM »
I was trying to get away from the stolid oom-pah-pah sound that I hear in most arrangements of it and introduce more harmonic interest and texture in the moving voices, so I didn't intend it as a march.

I think you did a good job of making it less of a march-like interpretation and having it be a bit more emotive. Good job.
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is THE BEST.
Frank Zappa

Jerry Engelbach

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2017, 06:18:00 AM »
Thanks, RJB:

Cheers,
Jer
Finale 25
GPO 5
iMac El Capitan