Author Topic: Pizzicato notation  (Read 246 times)

Ron

• Administrator
  • Finale Beta Tester
    • The Music of Ronald J Brown
Pizzicato notation
« on: September 03, 2017, 07:39:35 AM »
I've always notated pizzicato notes as quarter notes if they are of unspecified length, especially in the contrabass. A recent teacher, who I am no longer studying with, insisted that I write them out in full. For example, if I have a CB pizz note at the beginning of a 4/4 measure followed by rests, he insisted I write it as a whole note. To me that looks silly: there's no way a bass can sustain a pizz. note that long. His point was that if I write it as a quarter note, the bass player will damp the note. I replied that if it was really important I would put in an lv. instruction or symbol, but that a 1/4 note is about as long as the note will sustain in any case.

Thoughts? Opinions? (Don't be shy to tell me I am being a stubborn old fool if that is the case.)
Ron
Administrator Compose Forums

Rules are for people who have no understanding of music, so they invent something to mask their ignorance.

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
  • B.FA (composition) M.Mus (composition)
    • Les Éditions du Dos Blanc
Re: Pizzicato notation
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2017, 07:50:54 AM »
in my experience with live performances of my works, I have yet to come across a bass player who damps quarter note pizzicati.
while in a solo context, the bass's pizz can actually be quite melodious and have a substantial sustaining power, the minute the rest of the orchestra is playing, or even a small part of the ensemble, that sustained effect vanishes, as it simply does not carry.

unless you specifically notate "damp" then the notes will be allowed to vibrate freely.
I think the "damp" effect, however, only works in certain contexts.

One thing I've noticed is that the minute you use specific durations, like dotted quarters, halves, whole-notes, there creeps in a degree of ambiguity as to whether or not an "arco" indication is missing from the score.

The one context I might suggest use all "correct" durations would be in a passage in a soft dynamic, where ALL of the strings are playing pizz, and it has a sort of melodic quality to it. I still think this would be rather exceptional (since violin pizzicati have even less sustaining power).
"Writing music to be revolutionary is like cooking to be famous: Music’s main function is not revolution. – Alan Belkin "

"Saying something new about something old is still saying something new. – Jamie Kowalski"

RJB54

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2017, 09:34:56 AM »
For myself I usually use quarter notes if the pizz. note is on the beat and eighths for offbeats unless the passage is a mix of onbeats and offbeats in which case I use eighths for everything.

I can't see using notes longer than quarters unless something special is being requested such as a strummed note which lasts longer than a quarter.
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is THE BEST.
Frank Zappa

Jamie Kowalski

• All Hands Music
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2017, 05:09:02 AM »
Depending on the tempo, the bass can sustain a pizz much longer than a quarter, but you're probably not going to hear it unless there's not much else happening in the orchestra. I'll sometimes end a phrase on the downbeat of 4/4 with a half note if I want to make sure it isn't cut off before I like. But for the most part, duration isn't all that important.

whitebark

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2017, 11:00:40 AM »
A bass pizzicato can ring strongly for quite a long time.  That said, I can't remember seeing the length of pizz. notes written out in any bass parts that I've seen. As Ron said, it is usual to add a L.V. if you want the note to ring.   When I see an LV, I will stop the string firmly for a good length of time to get a nice sustained note. For an ordinary pizz. I may release the string early, which does damp the sound.