Author Topic: July 2017: National Music  (Read 211 times)

Ron

• Administrator
  • Finale Beta Tester
    • The Music of Ronald J Brown
July 2017: National Music
« on: July 01, 2017, 07:14:06 AM »
I'm writing this on my iPhone sitting in the lobby of the Beausejour hotel in Moncton, New Brunswick. It is a dark rainy day, but the city is bussling with cheerful people dressed in red, waving Canadian flag. It is Canada's 150 ieth anniversary. In a couple of days Americans will celebrate their national holiday. I am thinking of Michel's Canadian symphony and also the music of Harry Somers--and Un Canadien Errant, that haunting folk song that almost makes me weep every time I hear it. So what "national" music especially moves you?

Ron
Administrator Compose Forums

Rules are for people who have no understanding of music, so they invent something to mask their ignorance.

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
  • B.FA (composition) M.Mus (composition)
    • Les Éditions du Dos Blanc
Re: July 2017: National Music
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2017, 07:43:23 AM »
"Un Canadien Errant" REALLY does me in. I think it's one of the most touching songs in the repertoire.

I tried with my clarinet quintet to incorporate a "national" element in the sense of it being sort of folklore-based.
"Writing music to be revolutionary is like cooking to be famous: Music’s main function is not revolution. – Alan Belkin "

"Saying something new about something old is still saying something new. – Jamie Kowalski"

Ron

• Administrator
  • Finale Beta Tester
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2017, 10:59:43 AM »
Now that I am at home and can access you with a full screen, a normal keyboard and mouse, I can expand a bit. "Un Canadien Errant" is about the expulsion of the original French settlers in the Maritimes called "Acadians." The British, suspicious of their loyality, shipped them off to various American, Caribbean, British, and French ports, beginning in 1755. Spain recruited Acadians who had been exiled to France to populate Louisiana where they became known as Cajuns. Now I was in Moncton, New Brunswick where I made the original post. I heard French continuously in public, but a different dialect than what one hears in Quebec. They are descendants of the Acadians who were not captured and shipped off by the British. So, I was thinking off all this and that haunting heart-breaking lament:

Here 'tis: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xXRIciTZSQ

Un Canadien errant,
Banni de ses foyers,
Parcourait en pleurant
Des pays étrangers.
Un jour, triste et pensif,
Assis au bord des flots,
Au courant fugitif
Il adressa ces mots:
"Si tu vois mon pays,
Mon pays malheureux,
Va, dis à mes amis
Que je me souviens d'eux.
Ô jours si pleins d'appas
Vous êtes disparus,
Et ma patrie, hélas!
Je ne la verrai plus!
"Non, mais en expirant,
Ô mon cher Canada!
Mon regard languissant
Vers toi se portera..."
« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 11:10:09 AM by Ron »
Ron

Rules are for people who have no understanding of music, so they invent something to mask their ignorance.

Jerry Engelbach

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2017, 12:19:18 PM »

Catching up on old threads ...
This is a wonderful topic, and I'm surprised that more people haven't checked in.

One of my favorite national songs is the unofficial anthem of both North and South Korea, the folk song Arirang. It's Korea's real national song, divorced from all politics. There are different versions of the lyrics available on line.

I learned it when I had to play it at a Korean wedding, which the whole company sang at the end of the reception. The New York Philharmonic performed it in North Korea in 2008.

One of my favorite versions accompanies the figure skater Yuna Kim, when she won the 2010 Olympics. (Of course, she is part of the appeal, too.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tcFqApya38

EDIOT: Oops. It appears that I may be breaking the rules by reviving a previous month's thread. So sorry.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 12:33:33 PM by Jerry Engelbach »
Finale 25
GIFF
iMac

Ron

• Administrator
  • Finale Beta Tester
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2017, 01:31:52 PM »
Thanks Jerry,
It is a lovely anthem. Not to worry about visiting old threads. :)
Ron

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2017, 01:48:34 PM »
Ha! what a happy coincidence... a composer friend of mine here had her "Arirang" Piano Concerto performed in South Korea a few years ago.
"Writing music to be revolutionary is like cooking to be famous: Music’s main function is not revolution. – Alan Belkin "

"Saying something new about something old is still saying something new. – Jamie Kowalski"

Jerry Engelbach

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2017, 02:20:49 PM »
Thank you, Ron.

Ha! what a happy coincidence... a composer friend of mine here had her "Arirang" Piano Concerto performed in South Korea a few years ago.

Michel, is there a recording of that piano concerto? I would love to hear it.

It seems to me that it would be quite a challenge to write a whole concerto on a pentatonic scale, so I imagine that it must go further afield.

Cheers,
Jer
Finale 25
GIFF
iMac

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2017, 03:02:36 PM »
Jer,
She has a recording, but I don't know if it's posted anywhere.