Author Topic: Flute_Concerto_01  (Read 819 times)

RJB54

Re: Flute_Concerto_01
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2017, 07:17:40 AM »
I have finally been able to complete this piece. Working on the revision of my 3rd String Symphony seems to have eliminated my writer's block on this piece and I was able to finally complete the first movement which is in a fairly standard Sonata Form.

The second and third movements have had a number of small tweaks made throughout as well as some more substantial changes. In the second movement, the sameness issue in the A section was addressed with a 'modulation' to a different 'key' for each restatement of the theme. The third movement has had the latter parts beefed up a bit by upping the virtuosity in the flute and by making the coda somewhat more substantial.

I have updated the OP with the completed score as well as the audio files for all of the movements.
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is THE BEST.
Frank Zappa

sandalwood

« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2017, 09:32:19 AM »
I can only very vaguely recollect the previous version, nevertheless I have the general impression that the work now has more agile and virtuoso passages perhaps partly due to being conditioned by the discussions.

Being me, 2nd was my favorite mvt. İt is the same with the new version. I especially like the mesmerizing (literally makes my head swim) middle section 2:00-3:45 and absolutely love the accompaniment there. Actually I think the accompaniment is very effective, in general.

Yes, I definitely would buy a ticket to listen to this live. :)

Patrick O'Keefe

« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2017, 07:19:16 PM »
I was absent from the forum when the initial discussion took place so I'm hesitant to say anything now, but ...

In general I think it's a very interesting, satisfying work, but in the 1st movement I wasn't ready for the introduction to end.  I wanted more of it before the piece sped up.  But that's a very small point.  I, too, would buy a ticket to hear a live performance.

RJB54

« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2017, 05:01:32 AM »
Thank you both for your kind comments. Its good to think that someone feels that something I've written is worth spending good money to hear rather than just for free on the internet  :). After all I think most of us write music to put something across to other people and its nice when we succeed.
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is THE BEST.
Frank Zappa

Jerry Engelbach

« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2017, 02:24:18 PM »
Forgive me. I'm a newbie here and late to this discussion.

I loved the lyricism of the second movement.

I felt throughout the piece that the orchestra was waiting for a chance to make a counter statement, like someone trying to get a word in when someone else is dominating the conversation.

I think the material is interesting enough so that the melodic bits might have more space around them. I want to be able to savor some things that get whisked away quickly.

I'm not sure how much space a flautist needs to breathe, but listening to it I felt a little breathless.

So perhaps it could be longer, with more air and more independent orchestral passages.

The harmonic language in the strings is very engaging.

Cheers,
Jer
Finale 25
GIFF
iMac

RJB54

« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2017, 04:40:54 PM »
Jerry, thanks.

Others have commented on the breathing issue. As a former flautist I don't think the breathing issue is a problem; however, the idea of beefing up the strings a bit (and thus giving the flute a bit of room) has possibilities, I'll have to think on it.
Frank Zappa