Author Topic: February, 2018: Further Study  (Read 443 times)

Ron

• Administrator
  • Finale Beta Tester
    • The Music of Ronald J Brown
February, 2018: Further Study
« on: February 01, 2018, 08:17:30 AM »
Retired, I find myself now able to follow whatever online courses catch my fancy. I've taken courses in history, philosophy, and the sciences. But, I keep lapping up any courses on music theory and history I can find. One really delightful series of (free) courses I have been following are on Beethoven's piano sonatas. Johnathan Bliss, the teacher, is an accomplished pianist who has specialized in Beethoven. His knowledge of his subject area is intimate and broad. As he teaches he plays the sonatas and excepts with ease, analyzing, not only the harmonic and formal structure, but the relationship of sections to the entire piece and to Beethoven's work as a whole. I am now well into the third series of lectures he has prepared on this subject.

The first of the series restarted on January 29th, but you can easily catch up if you were to start now. https://www.coursera.org/learn/beethoven-piano-sonatas Coursera courses are free, but, if you wish you can pay $65USA and get a certificate of completion. I don't bother, as I have more than enough certificates.

So, what courses of study can you recommend?
Ron
Administrator Compose Forums

Rules are for people who have no understanding of music, so they invent something to mask their ignorance.

tbmartin

• TerenceMartinSaxArranger
Re: February, 2018: Further Study
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2018, 09:23:24 AM »
Being NOT retired, I find myself able to drool over all these online courses, but unable to actually DO any of them! I eagerly wait for comments from everyone and maybe I'll have a list of courses that are Forum-Approved so I spend my precious-small amount of time wisely!
Terence Martin

Tools: Finale 2003 on Windows XP
Day job: Actuary
Composing/Arranging output: mostly sax quartets
http://bit.ly/TerenceMartinSaxArranger
Goal: Improve quantity and quality of concert band compositions.
Play: Saxophones (all, but tenor primary), Bass Clarinet, Piano (poorly)

Jerry Engelbach

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2018, 07:13:00 AM »
I'm not really involved in any course of study, but I'm devouring all I can find on YouTube about orchestration. There is a surprisingly large amount of it.

I've looked at most of the entries by Thomas Goss, whom, if I remember correctly, you said you studied with, Ron. If one can get past Goss's somewhat halting speech, laced with many "uh's" (which I can), one will find his expertise extremely valuable.

What's missing, of course, is feedback, which apparently Goss no longer offers. I need to do more research to see if it exists with anyone else.

Cheers,
Jer
Finale 25
GPO 5
iMac El Capitan

Ron

• Administrator
  • Finale Beta Tester
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2018, 07:47:38 AM »
Thomas Goss does offer feedback for his course on string-writing which is now completed. He had professionals play and comment on several of my exercises. It was very helpful and informative. I believe he is planning a course on the woodwinds next.
Ron

Rules are for people who have no understanding of music, so they invent something to mask their ignorance.

tbmartin

• TerenceMartinSaxArranger
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2018, 08:05:46 AM »
Thomas Goss does offer feedback for his course on string-writing which is now completed. He had professionals play and comment on several of my exercises. It was very helpful and informative. I believe he is planning a course on the woodwinds next.

I'd be very interested in his woodwinds course. I signed up for his newsletter. I would think that would alert me when it starts.
Terence Martin

Tools: Finale 2003 on Windows XP
Day job: Actuary
Composing/Arranging output: mostly sax quartets
http://bit.ly/TerenceMartinSaxArranger
Goal: Improve quantity and quality of concert band compositions.
Play: Saxophones (all, but tenor primary), Bass Clarinet, Piano (poorly)

Ron

• Administrator
  • Finale Beta Tester
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2018, 08:48:29 AM »
I assume it will alert us as well. There will likely be an announcement on the "Orchestration on Line" FB group as well. I will mention it in the "Chit Chat" sections of the forum when I see an announcement.
Ron

Jerry Engelbach

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2018, 02:42:41 PM »
Thanks, Ron. I too would be interested in anything he offered that has feedback.

How does one get his newsletter? His web site seems to have only things that are several years old.

Cheers,
Jer
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 11:44:36 AM by Jerry Engelbach »
Finale 25
GPO 5
iMac El Capitan

Ron

• Administrator
  • Finale Beta Tester
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2018, 09:55:29 AM »
Thomas's newsletter is available at this address: http://orchestrationonline.com/
Ron

Jerry Engelbach

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2018, 11:46:40 AM »
Thanks, Ron. I was on that site before but somehow managed to overlook the very obvious signup form.
Finale 25
GPO 5
iMac El Capitan

Ron

• Administrator
  • Finale Beta Tester
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2018, 02:00:18 PM »
There is another course by our friend, Alan Belkin, coming up. This one is on counterpoint. I cannot recommend his courses strongly enough. His most recent one on harmony was both eclectic and detailed. No matter what your style of music, you can learn new things from Alan. You can pledge support for Alan here: https://www.patreon.com/AlanBelkin/posts Though he asks only 5 dollars per video, they are worth far more than that. Though I am an impoverished pensioner, I pledged $25/per, so you have no excuse.   ;D
Ron

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
  • B.FA (composition) M.Mus (composition)
    • Les Éditions du Dos Blanc
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2018, 12:11:00 PM »
I wish there was a course in how to write fast music.
"Writing music to be revolutionary is like cooking to be famous: Music’s main function is not revolution. – Alan Belkin "

"Saying something new about something old is still saying something new. – Jamie Kowalski"