Author Topic: Choices  (Read 4290 times)

RichardMc

Choices
« on: March 31, 2012, 05:56:38 AM »
Using the exercise in another post I have built a number of harmonic phrases. I am now attempting to use them as a framework developing a theme. I have in a short span of time come up with different treatments. If I continue I will come up with countless others. Now how to choose. How do people limit the choices in front of them and make decisions concerning what ultimately ends up in the composition. I would be interested in the experience of others in this regard.

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
  • M.Mus (composition) Finale 26, NP3, GPO5
    • Les Éditions du Dos Blanc
Re: Choices
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2012, 06:42:18 AM »
that is part of what being a creative artist is. deciding what you want to use as your material.

choose the material that YOU feel best represents the end product you are aiming for, and which will give you the most enjoyment in developing. no one can decide that for you, or even really help you in making that selection.
"Writing music to be revolutionary is like cooking to be famous: Music’s main function is not revolution. – Alan Belkin "

"Saying something new about something old is still saying something new. – Jamie Kowalski"

RichardMc

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2012, 07:26:21 AM »
It probably comes back to some of the things intimated in my earlier posts and that is I need to have some vision of what I want a composition to be before I start it. Thanks for your reply.

suspenlute

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2012, 09:30:46 AM »
It probably comes back to some of the things intimated in my earlier posts and that is I need to have some vision of what I want a composition to be before I start it.

Pretty much. If you really don't care what your composition "says" to the listener, practically anything will sound appropriate....enough

jmsuijkerbuijk

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2012, 03:19:53 AM »
Why choose at a point where choosing is too difficult? It happens quite often that I have two or more versions of a work in progress next to each other, each with a different direction. If I'm not ready to choose definitively at that point, I'll work on each different version and will soon learn which one is most promising, feels most comfortable.

In the end: whatever works best for you is the way you should go about the job.

RichardMc

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2012, 09:04:30 AM »
It never occurred to me to work on two versions at the same time. Perhaps I will give that a try. Thank you. In fact as I think about it it occurs to me that bits and pieces of both versions could find their way into the composition.

winknotes

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2012, 10:42:18 AM »
I have to say that it never occurred to me either to work on two versions of a piece at once, but it really makes a lot of sense in situations where you have too much material for one piece and you can't make up your mind on direction.  I'm actually in that situation right now so this is very timely advice. 
Steve Winkler
Finale 2011
Windows 7 64-bit
Garritan GPO4, JABB
VSL SE/SE+ Standard
Reaper (sometimes)